Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A horde of hungry investors lined up for hours in the rain and slept outside overnight to ensure prime lineup positions.

DragonflyProperties

Registered
Hi all,

An article from today`s edition of The Province (Vancouver). How many times has Don Campbell said that you line up for concerts and sporting events, not to buy real estate. And you don`t cheer because the price goes up $50,000 while you are waiting in line. Let the good times roll! These are the same people who complain that "there should be laws to protect us from things like this" if and when it all goes south. Of course, if this is your game and you know how to play it it is a different story. Excerpts:

The buzz is back.

In scenes rarely seen since the Vancouver real-estate market peaked in early 2008, a horde of hungry investors lined up for hours in a downpour Saturday to get first dibs on pre-sale condo units in a tower to be erected in Yaletown.

Cam Good, who is heading up marketing for "The Mark" by Onni, said some investors even slept outside Friday night to ensure prime line-up positions.

"I`m here because they are selling Yaletown at today`s prices, but the speculation is [that] prices will go up after the Olympics," Arora said.

Steve Dhana was amazed by speculator interest as he watched investors rushing to place bids on units.

"The prices went up $50,000 last night," Dhana said. He hoped to buy a unit in the $500,000 price-range, and also expected prices to surge in February 2010.

http://www.theprovince.com/business/Condo+...2391/story.html

Keith

mark186

Registered
Doubtlessly, one of those "investors" will post here a year from now expecting someone on this board to explain some magic way to help them due to the fact their unit is now worth $100k less than they are under contract to pay for it.

ChrisDavies

Registered
I`m going to have to mark a special place on the wall for banging my head every time I read something like this. It`ll have to be reinforced, because people seem to keep doing it.

housedoc

Registered
QUOTE (tbarcier @ Nov 30 2009, 06:43 AM) It was mostly realtors trying to snatch them up and geez were they mad! It even got physical.

It was ONLY for realtors. And the media, of course.

Well played by X2.

tbarcier

Registered
QUOTE (housedoc @ Nov 30 2009, 08:30 AM) It was ONLY for realtors. And the media, of course.

Well played by X2.

Oh really? It was never stated that it was only for realtors in the storys I read. Makes me feel better.

GStroud

Registered
I wonder how many of the door rushers are investors as:
Another factor that is not mentioned is a new BC by-law stating that "strata" or condo associations are now able to prevent units to be rented even after the owners initially bought with existing ability to rent. One board meeting and a vote could render many owners hanging dry as they will be unable to rent based on their strata bylaws. As well, some strata, have a waiting list of owners who want to rent. If your tenant leaves your strata, condo, some of the places will put you on the bottom of the list and the first person on the list is allowed to rent their unit. - Don`t know about anybody else, but I`m staying away from BC condos. -

BrianPersaud

Registered
QUOTE (RJackson @ Nov 30 2009, 03:45 PM) I wonder how many of the door rushers are investors as:
Another factor that is not mentioned is a new BC by-law stating that "strata" or condo associations are now able to prevent units to be rented even after the owners initially bought with existing ability to rent. One board meeting and a vote could render many owners hanging dry as they will be unable to rent based on their strata bylaws. As well, some strata, have a waiting list of owners who want to rent. If your tenant leaves your strata, condo, some of the places will put you on the bottom of the list and the first person on the list is allowed to rent their unit. - Don`t know about anybody else, but I`m staying away from BC condos. -

You wouldn`t have to worry about this for the projects that were recently in the media, most people buying them are investors.

Top Bottom