Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A Thought on Redevelopment areas

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Greetings.

From investors and prospective tenants alike, I hear general disdain for redevelopment areas. Crime being one of the determining factors.

When I am showing a property in such an area, I point out that I have seen the crime statistics on the Police website and that particular neighbourhood has less break-ins and thefts than my so-called nice neighbourhood.

Well, I now have more data to share. My van was stolen yesterday from my home. The police have already recovered it, but it is likely a write-off.

I think one major difference between nice and not-so-nice areas is landscaping. The police officer commented that my alley is one of the worst because everyone has such beautiful fences and hedges. Visibility is diminished and criminals feel protected.

In contrast, many redevelopment areas have shorter fences or chain-link fences with no privacy barriers. And there aren`t many well-tended hedges or archways covered in vines and roses. The alley of one of my not-so-nice-area homes is wide open. Criminals are deterred because they know they are likely to be seen. And residents may also be more watchful because they anticipate more crime.

And yet, it`s my "nice" home that gets it.

Regards,
Sherilynn

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (Sherilynn @ Aug 9 2010, 11:42 AM) Greetings.

Well, I now have more data to share. My van was stolen yesterday from my home. The police have

And yet, it`s my "nice" home that gets it.

Regards,
Sherilynn

Thanks for the insight.

PaulPoulsen

Registered
If I were a thief, I wouldn`t target the rougher/in-transition areas. I`d head for the nice neighbourhoods where people theoretically have money to spend on expensive things worth stealing. Then I`d return to my ghetto hideout will my ill-gotten gains!

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (PaulPoulsen @ Aug 10 2010, 11:56 AM) If I were a thief, I wouldn`t target the rougher/in-transition areas. I`d head for the nice neighbourhoods where people theoretically have money to spend on expensive things worth stealing. Then I`d return to my ghetto hideout will my ill-gotten gains!

Gee! The ming of a master criminal at work

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Paul, my van was a 1991 Piece-o`crap, worth about $2000. This was a crime of opportunity, which is precisely my point...bigger yards with more landscaping = more opportunity.

Regards,
Sherilynn

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (Sherilynn @ Aug 10 2010, 08:33 PM) Paul, my van was a 1991 Piece-o`crap, worth about $2000. This was a crime of opportunity, which is precisely my point...bigger yards with more landscaping = more opportunity.

Regards,
Sherilynn

Depends what type of crime you`re talking about. Yes you had one thing stolen (sorry to hear that). I once had my car broken into for the change in my cupholder and another time I had a con-artist come to my front door and talk $20 right out of my pocket. In more seedy areas there are lots of more serious crimes between people below the poverty line. Most of which dont get reported. In terms of property risk you`re talking about vanalism, theft from businesses and tenant problems because what good tenant wants to live there.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Brett,

My rental properties are in redevelopment areas near 118th Avenue in Edmonton...not in "seedy" areas, but not far from them either. We have not experienced vandalism, theft, or many tenant problems at these properties. And I do have decent tenants living there (usually).

Yes, if you venture further into the "seedy" areas, you will find stabbings and worse, but I am not referring to the heart of Cracktown.

In the nice neighbourhood where I live: my van was stolen this year, my car was broken into last year, and my neighbour`s garage was broken into 3 times in the past 2 years. So 6 crimes in 2 nice properties in 2 years verses no crimes in several not-so-nice properties in 5 years. No contest.

Regards,
Sherilynn

Berubeland

Registered
You make an interesting point Sherrilyn, one that I have noticed myself. My first apartment when I was a student was in an area that made people gasp! I had moved from out of town in an area I could afford and the apartment was very good value. The only things I had happen was someone took my old bald spare out of the back of my truck and I had a bike stolen.

My current house I`ve been living in for 13 years now... nothing stolen there either.

Lots of the people I work for have nice houses in nice neighborhoods, one lady had 3 break ins in the last 5 years. It could be what you said about the hedges or what our evil mastermind said... people steal from more affluent neighborhoods.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (Sherilynn @ Aug 12 2010, 08:58 PM) Brett,

My rental properties are in redevelopment areas near 118th Avenue in Edmonton...not in "seedy" areas, but not far from them either. We have not experienced vandalism, theft, or many tenant problems at these properties. And I do have decent tenants living there (usually).

I personally lived in the area you are talking about, or at least close to it, (122 Ave and 50th Street) for a couple of years. My neighbours on one side were an elderly couple who made us cookies, and house on the other side was a family with 2 young kids. The father of that family was always excited about improving our neighbourhood, and would clear snow from our driveway with his bobcat.
All three of the houses were owner occupied, and ours and other younger couples had recently made the transition from rentals.

My "nice neighbourhood" house in Calgary doesn`t have anything near the same level of community spirit, and it has statistically more crime. Pockets of homes in that area of Edmonton wonderful, and many of them will probably be a great investment.

I would have loved to have kept our house there as a rental, and added a basement suite, but we needed our equity.

Just my two cents that areas aren`t always defined by their reputation.

Michael

PS I should add that 50th street between 118th and yellowhead is a busy ambulance route at night, which improved my ability to sleep through noise dramatically.

REINteam

Registered
Sherilyn,

I am going to have to agree quite fully with your opinion on the "nice" neighbourhoods being targeted. I thankfully haven`t been a victim of any crime in terms of theft (some minor property damage in the past), but a few experiences that speak to your point about higher fences and hedges that give criminals the ability to hide from plain view.

I live in Abbotsford on the east side of town (considered the "nicer" area). Our block is all homes nearing 20 years old, so they are all fairly large, nice big yards front and back. Nearly all have at least a 6 foot fence and/or cedar hedging blocking the entire yard from street view. Last winter, we had a neighbour go outside and start her car to warm up before leaving for work (we`re pretty soft out here on the West Coast, anything below 5 degrees means the heat has to run before we get in), right in front of her house, went back inside to grab her things, and the car was gone - stolen outright from her front curb. You would think it wouldn`t happen in a good neighbourhood with seemingly unsuspecting people in the area.

Just this past week, in the same block, a good friend of mine has his work vehicle broken into on his driveway. Whoever it was noticed the GPS attached to the windshield inside, smashed out the driver side window, grabbed it and took off. It`s more of a nuisance than anything having to replace the window and the GPS (luckily the thousands of dollars in tools were strangely untouched), but it`s just another note on your thoughts on the "nicer" neighbourhoods being a target for crime.

Top Bottom