Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

An Open Letter to the Citizens of Canada

GarthChapman

Registered
An Open Letter to the Citizens of CanadaUse Your Voice. Stand Up For Democracy

This letter is an appeal to all Canadian citizens to share your concerns and fight for democracy.

In the recent federal election, Canadians voted for a minority government. You did not vote for an opposition coalition that has given veto power to a party determined to tear apart this country.

This is an unprecedented power grab, and we believe its wrong.

Voting Matters!

The confidence of the people is far more important than the confidence of Parliament.

Contact the Governor General today and let her know it is her responsibility to protect democracy and ensure the citizens of Canada that their voice does matter.

This coalition government is undemocratic and unaccountable - Don’t let them take away your voice!

Contact your Governor General her http://www.gg.ca/contactus/index_e.asp today and demand that this decision be put in the hands of the Canadian electorate.

The above text is an example of an ad we will be running in the National Post on Friday, December 5, 2008. With you support we can continue to run similar ads in publications across the country.

E-mail us at [email protected]
http://mailto:[email protected] to add your voice and provide feedback on our Open Letter.

Charly

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Dec 2 2008, 12:33 PM) An Open Letter to the Citizens of CanadaUse Your Voice. Stand Up For Democracy

This letter is an appeal to all Canadian citizens to share your concerns and fight for democracy.

In the recent federal election, Canadians voted for a minority government. You did not vote for an opposition coalition that has given veto power to a party determined to tear apart this country.

This is an unprecedented power grab, and we believe its wrong.

Voting Matters!

The confidence of the people is far more important than the confidence of Parliament.

Contact the Governor General today and let her know it is her responsibility to protect democracy and ensure the citizens of Canada that their voice does matter.

This coalition government is undemocratic and unaccountable - Don`t let them take away your voice!

Contact your Governor General her http://www.gg.ca/contactus/index_e.asp today and demand that this decision be put in the hands of the Canadian electorate.

The above text is an example of an ad we will be running in the National Post on Friday, December 5, 2008. With you support we can continue to run similar ads in publications across the country.

E-mail us at [email protected]
http://mailto:[email protected] to add your voice and provide feedback on our Open Letter.

Excellent open letter Garth. I have added my name to the list. I am absolutely appalled at what is happening and I hope for once, Canadians take action!

TodorYordanov

Registered
Undemocratic and unaccountable? I don`t think so and weak reasoning that is also wrong is a huge turn off for me.
Stupid, irresponsible, power grabbing and opportunistic I can absolutely agree with. However it is also very democratic and perfectly legal and within their right to do so.

What a mess!

What bugs me is that we were in the best shape from the G-20 countries going into this world economic collapse. Instead of keeping it this way we will end up at the bottom and it will be entirely home-made disaster.

I am very disappointed in all of the leadership at this point. Get them all out, problem is we have nobody to replace them with.

Awful situation.

Todor

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ Dec 2 2008, 08:25 PM) Undemocratic and unaccountable? I don`t think so and weak reasoning that is also wrong is a huge turn off for me.
Stupid, irresponsible, power grabbing and opportunistic I can absolutely agree with. However it is also very democratic and perfectly legal and within their right to do so.

What a mess!

What bugs me is that we were in the best shape from the G-20 countries going into this world economic collapse. Instead of keeping it this way we will end up at the bottom and it will be entirely home-made disaster.

I am very disappointed in all of the leadership at this point. Get them all out, problem is we have nobody to replace them with.

Awful situation.

Todor

I agree its a mess, and irresponsible, opportunistic, and yes undemocratic, and unaccountable. Why? as I looked at the picture of the 3 stooges signing their Kanagaroo Court Document I said OK he`s got an agenda, he`s got an agenda, and he wants his kick at the can (you fill in the names) but who`s going to govern? At least Harper was ready to do that. Problem was he started off by taking a sharp stick and poking at his opponents. Now its a total wash, and the separatists have veto power. Don`t blame Harper if he prorogues Parliament, he has no choice now and this was premeditated.
I laughed at the Americans as we completed 2 elections during the runup to theirs. They haven`t even transferred power yet and they`re making positive steps. Meanwhile we`re diddling our time (and money) away. It`ll be the New Year before this mess gets sorted out.
BTW Trudeau is rolling over in his grave at the Liberals getting in bed with the Bloc.
Jack Layton - a cabinet posting? The man is so smug he would drink his own bath water.
This is either very poor timing or just extremely shrewd on all their parts, because we`re paying their salaries aren`t we, while they build sand castles and have mudball wars.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ Dec 2 2008, 09:25 PM) Undemocratic and unaccountable? I don`t think so and weak reasoning that is also wrong is a huge turn off for me.

THANK you, Todor! It`s absolutely not undemocratic, illegal, unaccountable, etc. The other stuff is totally arguable, and I`m inclined to agree with you, by and large, but it is totally legal and democratic. If it wasn`t, it wouldn`t have a snowball`s chance in hell of going through.

Get upset about it, sure. Argue against it, sure. Petition against it, sure. But make sure your arguments are legitimate!

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

ZanderRobertson

Registered
The open letter from the National Citizens Coalition does not mention this power-grab being illegal.

Undemocratic and unaccountable are matters of semantics, I don`t think any well reasoned argument could prove that this move by the COALITION OF INSTABILITY was undemocratic or unaccountable. I personally think it`s undemocratic and unaccountable, but that`s just an opinion.

The logical consistency of arguments aside, the most interesting thing is the massive divide that this is causing. It would be hard to convey the vitriol of Western sentiment against this thing. And I get the impression by reading posts here and by watching Eastern media, that it`s actually not thought to be too bad of an idea in that end of the country.

QUOTE (JohnS @ Dec 2 2008, 08:07 PM) THANK you, Todor! It`s absolutely not undemocratic, illegal, unaccountable, etc. The other stuff is totally arguable, and I`m inclined to agree with you, by and large, but it is totally legal and democratic. If it wasn`t, it wouldn`t have a snowball`s chance in hell of going through.

Get upset about it, sure. Argue against it, sure. Petition against it, sure. But make sure your arguments are legitimate!

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Dec 3 2008, 03:33 AM) The open letter from the National Citizens Coalition does not mention this power-grab being illegal.

Undemocratic and unaccountable are matters of semantics, I don`t think any well reasoned argument could prove that this move by the COALITION OF INSTABILITY was undemocratic or unaccountable. I personally think it`s undemocratic and unaccountable, but that`s just an opinion.

The logical consistency of arguments aside, the most interesting thing is the massive divide that this is causing. It would be hard to convey the vitriol of Western sentiment against this thing. And I get the impression by reading posts here and by watching Eastern media, that it`s actually not thought to be too bad of an idea in that end of the country.

Being an English teacher, I admit I don`t like it when people say it`s just semantics, because how can you argue without using words, and if you aren`t precise in your choice of words, how are we to know what you think?

But I digress from what I meant to mention.....
I can`t say about out west (but from what I`ve seen in these forums, I agree with your impressions), but here, in Ottawa, I`ve definitely seen people arguing both sides. Heck, I`ve seen more than 2 sides. I`ve seen Harper brought it on himself and it`s all his fault, I`ve seen the Coalition is a bad idea, I`ve seen the Coalition is a good idea, I`ve seen a coalition could be a good idea, but not here and now, I`ve seen we`re giving the Bloc too much power, etc.

The only one I really haven`t seen (but I haven`t been checking the media that much today) is that Harper should step down, but that the Coalition should also back off, too. And that`s the one I think I`d like to see most.

Ah well...tomorrow`s another day!

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

ZanderRobertson

Registered
In this case it`s actually quite a simple distinction. Illegal is easily definable. Undemocratic and unaccountable are open to multitudes of meanings. Arguing these semantic points distracts us from the the real point; whether or not it`s a good idea to bring down a minority government at the worst possible time.

QUOTE (JohnS @ Dec 3 2008, 02:03 AM) Being an English teacher, I admit I don`t like it when people say it`s just semantics, because how can you argue without using words, and if you aren`t precise in your choice of words, how are we to know what you think?

But I digress from what I meant to mention.....
I can`t say about out west (but from what I`ve seen in these forums, I agree with your impressions), but here, in Ottawa, I`ve definitely seen people arguing both sides. Heck, I`ve seen more than 2 sides. I`ve seen Harper brought it on himself and it`s all his fault, I`ve seen the Coalition is a bad idea, I`ve seen the Coalition is a good idea, I`ve seen a coalition could be a good idea, but not here and now, I`ve seen we`re giving the Bloc too much power, etc.

The only one I really haven`t seen (but I haven`t been checking the media that much today) is that Harper should step down, but that the Coalition should also back off, too. And that`s the one I think I`d like to see most.

Ah well...tomorrow`s another day!

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

TodorYordanov

Registered
QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Dec 3 2008, 03:33 AM) Undemocratic and unaccountable are matters of semantics

Elizabeth May is calling the current government "illegitimate", I guess that would also be a matter of semantics or is she just right to say so?

No, words have meaning and when used properly they can convey a powerful message and also confirm and express someones values, intentions and sincerity.

So far ALL the leaders have failed to earn my respect and trust. I feel betrayed and abandoned in this situation where NO ONE is standing up for this country and it`s people in an honest and deeply thoughtful way. Please give me an idea, where we can elect LEADERS that will steer this country in the tough economic times and will unite this country around their ideas and solutions.

My personal opinion would for all leaders to resign because of their lack of vision, morals and above all care for the citizens of Canada.

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Elizabeth May`s opinion on the Harper government really drives home the point that these labels can be used in pretty much any way the user wants. She`s no more right than anyone whose suggesting that the coalition is undemocratic. Illegal is provable, undemocratic and unaccountable are not.

The real question is whether or not this is a good idea. I say it`s a horrible idea, we need stability right now.

QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ Dec 3 2008, 08:07 AM) Elizabeth May is calling the current government "illegitimate", I guess that would also be a matter of semantics or is she just right to say so?

No, words have meaning and when used properly they can convey a powerful message and also confirm and express someones values, intentions and sincerity.

So far ALL the leaders have failed to earn my respect and trust. I feel betrayed and abandoned in this situation where NO ONE is standing up for this country and it`s people in an honest and deeply thoughtful way. Please give me an idea, where we can elect LEADERS that will steer this country in the tough economic times and will unite this country around their ideas and solutions.

My personal opinion would for all leaders to resign because of their lack of vision, morals and above all care for the citizens of Canada.

TodorYordanov

Registered
Why don`t we declare war to the USA and surrender the very next minute. They will occupy us and Obama can become our President.

Quick and simple.

betrina

Registered
QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ Dec 3 2008, 10:07 AM) Why don`t we declare war to the USA and surrender the very next minute. They will occupy us and Obama can become our President.

Quick and simple.

Sick

How quickly we forget who it was that started this whole global economic disaster... The America Ninja.

wealthyboomer

Registered
If the Conservatives fear losing `power`, and the `coalition` takes over, the Conservative MP`s, can ALL `RESIGN`!
That would effectively mean an `election` would have to be called in all those ridings, or for the whole country. Either way, the supposed `democratic` process will be in play, of having the people (again) decide who they want to be in `power`.

jackie

Registered
Thank you, everyone, for sharing your views. I love that this forum provides a venue for exchanging and airing a broad range of opinions from Canadians all across our country.

I agree with many who think ALL the party leaders are making an utter mess of things at a time when they should be working together to see us through this economic crisis. The blame for this mess deserves to be distributed abundantly and not just on one `side` or another.

As for the democracy of a coalition government, we can look to Stephen Harper`s own words on the subject. It was just about 4 years ago when then-MP Harper wrote to then-GG Adrienne Clarkson that "the opposition parties, who together constitute a majority in the House, have been in close consultation...". Harper was ready to participate in a Conservative-led coalition government when it was to his best interest. Now it`s undemocratic? It`s political bull-slinging is what it is, and it`s coming from every single party leader.

As for Duceppe, the Bloc has been used to prop up both sides of the House at various times, so nothing new there, either.

We don`t need yet another election. We need ALL our elected representatives to put aside their politicking, bickering, back-biting vendettas and agendas, and get down to work. To come up with a plan --cooperatively-- to see us Canadians through this bizarre economic time.

Harper and Dion are playing a game of chicken in parliament, and the casualties will be us. Enough already.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (jackie @ Dec 3 2008, 02:18 PM) Harper and Dion are playing a game of chicken in parliament, and the casualties will be us. Enough already.

Well said jackie, look at the front page of today`s National Post and that says it all.

Top Bottom