Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Any REIN Members Property Managers in Calgary?

ChrisJackson

REIN Member
I`ve talked to most of the Calgary property managers in the REIN recommended resources section of the web site none are REIN members. Are there any REIN members who offer impeccable property management services in Calgary?

Thanks a lot!

Chris Jackson
[email protected]
Tel: 403-288-5758

GrahamWhite

Registered
Chris,

A couple things that might be helpful.

First, you need to be clear about your expectations of what the management company does. In my experience they don`t do nearly the same job and owner/manager does no matter who they are. (We had a horrific experience with Hope Street and I would steer you away from them.)

Read the contract they want you to sign very carefully because in all the ones I`ve seen, they`re fully protected but if you`re not happy with their performance it will cost you to take back your properties or hire another company.

If you have a lot of units in one area you`re going to be able to attract better quality managers who work harder for you than if you have just a few units in one area. The easier your units are to manage (upscale apartments downtown vs. older houses with illegal suites).

There are a couple economic realities to consider with property managers:

1. RENT RATES

They`re looking to make the most money with the least expense to them. That means they don`t have the same incentive as you to charge top end rents because it means they have to work harder to find and screen tenants.

Let`s say you`re paying 10% management fee - $1200 as opposed to $1100 for your two bedroom unit means $10 more per month to them, but might mean four more hours of staff time in order to attract that top end tenant. Four hours at $30/hr is $120 which means they simply break even while the difference to you is $1080.

2. RELATIONSHIP WITH THE TENANTS

An owner/manager might go over to collect the rent, talk to the tenants and maintain a personal relationship. By doing so, they keep their finger on the pulse of what`s happening to their property month to month and will check out little things (you know, like a crack in the bathroom tile that will eventually lead to a $2000 repair bill) that a management company might never hear about.

There`s also a huge difference between how tenants treat a place when they have a relationship with the owners vs. one with the property manager (or none at all).

3. REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE

As the owner, you have an incentive to create cost effective solutions - meaning the lowest cost for the best result possible. A property management company is likely going to make just one call and some add on a percentage to the bill (15%) for the trouble of making the call and following up.

My advice to someone who has never used property managers before is that you should budget 25% for the cost of full property management the way you think of it as an owner. If you hire a management company, recognize that 15% still needs to come from somewhere (unless you`re fortunate enough to have highly desirable units in new buildings with on site property managers and long-term renters).

ChrisJones

Registered
Stay far away from Hopestreet for residential property management. Sorry to sound so negative, but I am actually trying to help in a positive way.

Chris Jones.

ChrisJackson

REIN Member
QUOTE (GrahamWhite @ Jan 16 2008, 02:21 PM) Chris,

A couple things that might be helpful.

First, you need to be clear about your expectations of what the management company does. In my experience they don`t do nearly the same job and owner/manager does no matter who they are. (We had a horrific experience with Hope Street and I would steer you away from them.)

Read the contract they want you to sign very carefully because in all the ones I`ve seen, they`re fully protected but if you`re not happy with their performance it will cost you to take back your properties or hire another company.

If you have a lot of units in one area you`re going to be able to attract better quality managers who work harder for you than if you have just a few units in one area. The easier your units are to manage (upscale apartments downtown vs. older houses with illegal suites).

There are a couple economic realities to consider with property managers:

1. RENT RATES

They`re looking to make the most money with the least expense to them. That means they don`t have the same incentive as you to charge top end rents because it means they have to work harder to find and screen tenants.

Let`s say you`re paying 10% management fee - $1200 as opposed to $1100 for your two bedroom unit means $10 more per month to them, but might mean four more hours of staff time in order to attract that top end tenant. Four hours at $30/hr is $120 which means they simply break even while the difference to you is $1080.

2. RELATIONSHIP WITH THE TENANTS

An owner/manager might go over to collect the rent, talk to the tenants and maintain a personal relationship. By doing so, they keep their finger on the pulse of what`s happening to their property month to month and will check out little things (you know, like a crack in the bathroom tile that will eventually lead to a $2000 repair bill) that a management company might never hear about.

There`s also a huge difference between how tenants treat a place when they have a relationship with the owners vs. one with the property manager (or none at all).

3. REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE

As the owner, you have an incentive to create cost effective solutions - meaning the lowest cost for the best result possible. A property management company is likely going to make just one call and some add on a percentage to the bill (15%) for the trouble of making the call and following up.

My advice to someone who has never used property managers before is that you should budget 25% for the cost of full property management the way you think of it as an owner. If you hire a management company, recognize that 15% still needs to come from somewhere (unless you`re fortunate enough to have highly desirable units in new buildings with on site property managers and long-term renters).

Thanks Graham. Good advice!

Chris

Top Bottom