Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Apartment bldgs - BC vs. Alberta

clstevens

Registered
I am hoping someone might be able to help me with this. I have been dragging my heels on this, probably because it feels like a big step to go from owning single family to multi, so I am starting with this basic question. I live in Vancouver and I know that Maple Ridge and Surrey were top in BC for places to invest but does anyone know if Alberta would perhaps be a better place to purchase, say maybe Edmonton or Calgary? I thought close to home might be better but if I have a management company run it, then it probably doesn`t make too much of a difference. Or does it. Does anyone have first hand experience with this? In terms of ROI, is there a significant advantage to purchasing in one place vs. another? Any help or advice you might offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Cari-Lee

brentdavies

Registered
Rent control has not been in Alberta since the 1970`s. Landlords can charge the market rent, with no limit on increases. Little government interference. The Alberta Advantage.

BC has a cap on rent increases, currently at 3.8 % or close to it. ( I don`t invest in BC)

Ontario also has rent controls.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
it depends on price, location, CAP rate, VTB, available financing, 5 year goal, cash-flow vs. equity goals, ...

We own buildings in ON, SK, AB and BC .. and they all work and they all have their pro`s and con`s ..

What is better when buying a used car: a Ford @ $5000 or a VW for $12,000 or a Mercedes for $31,000 ?

navaz

Registered
Thomas is right-look at the economic fundamentals and one more thing -no property purchase tax in Alberta

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
AND, the AB Tenant-Landlord legislation is more balanced than in BC, IMHO.

Having said that, I am again considering investing in BC again... even the Lower Mainland. But, my emphasis will be on RTOs and commercial more so that long term residential holds.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
one of the KEY advantages in AB and SK is that you can adjust rents to market very quickly, as opposed to rent controlled BC, MB or ON !

Top Bottom