Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

appliances

tbarcier

Registered
You can install your own furnance and electrical as long as it is inspected inspected to ensure they comply code, nothing illegal there.

housingrental

Registered
I don`t think that`s correct. Are you sure that applies to everything? You need to have a gas license to hook up a gas furnace.. ? and to change a panel and certain other jobs be an electrician?
What about installing used furnaces isn`t that not allowed?

QUOTE (tbarcier @ Nov 15 2009, 02:59 PM) You can install your own furnance and electrical as long as it is inspected inspected to ensure they comply code, nothing illegal there.

tbarcier

Registered
Regulations state if your house is detached and you occupy it you are exempt from having to be certified for gas. Electrical work done by the owner or occupant is exempt from licence in a residential dwelling. The legal part is that is has to be inspected and approved that it is to code. A licence is required to work in that trade. Same way you can work on your own car, but the shop mechanic needs a licence. They don`t want unlicensed people going around doing work on people’s houses. The code is what ensures it is safe and legal. As far as liability goes, check with your insurance company. If you would like I can post links to the appropriate legislation.

housingrental

Registered
You are correct...I checked... I was under a mistaken impression... it`s still a bad idea though as if anything was done incorrectly by the home owner there might liability / insurance issues so I wouldn`t ever risk it.. For a used furnace it has to be inspected by someone licensed...

QUOTE (tbarcier @ Nov 15 2009, 07:39 PM) Adam the legal part is that is has to be inspected and approved that it is to code. A licence is required to work in that trade. Same way you can work on your own car, but the shop mechanic needs a licence. The code is what ensures it is safe and legal. As far as liability goes, check with your insurance company.

invst4profit

Registered
The final responsibility falls back on the licensed individuals doing the inspection. The purpose of the inspection is to show that the work has been done correctly and is safe.
Trades people use unlicensed individuals regularly, such as apprentices, to do all installation work for all trades but the one holding the license and signing off on the job is ultimately responsible.

The building code requires inspections of all work and I generally do have that done in any area related to safety.
With DIY the catch is finding a licensed contractor willing to OK someone else`s work.

The bottom line is if you do not know what you are doing you should always hire a licensed professional.

invst4profit

Registered
QUOTE (housing rental @ Nov 15 2009, 07:44 PM) You are correct...I checked... I was under a mistaken impression... it`s still a bad idea though as if anything was done incorrectly by the home owner there might liability / insurance issues so I wouldn`t ever risk it.. For a used furnace it has to be inspected by someone licensed...

It may be a bad idea for you to do the work yourself but that does not make it a bad idea in general. In my case the work will not be done incorrectly so will not pose a safety risk.
We all have different skill sets and levels of competence. Mine happen to be in the building trades.

tbarcier

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Nov 15 2009, 07:44 PM) You are correct...I checked... I was under a mistaken impression... it`s still a bad idea though as if anything was done incorrectly by the home owner there might liability / insurance issues so I wouldn`t ever risk it.. For a used furnace it has to be inspected by someone licensed...

That is why any of this work has to be inspected first to ensure it meets code, not just the furnance.

WadeFenner

Inspired Forum Member
Another point no one has mentioned is permits. In Edmonton a licenced tradesman must pull the permit and sign off on the work then its inspected by the city (electrical, gas, plumbing, etc) . I don`t know many who would do that for someone else to do the work. I can pull the permit if I own & "occupy" the house but I can`t pull the permit for a rental property or a flip etc.

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 15 2009, 05:58 PM) The final responsibility falls back on the licensed individuals doing the inspection. The purpose of the inspection is to show that the work has been done correctly and is safe.
Trades people use unlicensed individuals regularly, such as apprentices, to do all installation work for all trades but the one holding the license and signing off on the job is ultimately responsible.

The building code requires inspections of all work and I generally do have that done in any area related to safety.
With DIY the catch is finding a licensed contractor willing to OK someone else`s work.

The bottom line is if you do not know what you are doing you should always hire a licensed professional.

WadeFenner

Inspired Forum Member
What business do you think I`m in?

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 15 2009, 08:56 AM) I am talking about middle class real people not high end entitlement class condo dwellers. Tenants in rentals.

tbarcier

Registered
Important to note that each province has its own set of rules and regulations. Wade, are you refering to Building permits? That will vary by municipality of course.

invst4profit

Registered
QUOTE (Wade Fenner @ Nov 15 2009, 10:45 PM)
What business do you think I'm in?

Having office staff, property managers etc and since you are up selling the wow factor I would guess you are in the business of selling high or higher end homes.

I am in the low end of the market. Similar work different business in every other respect. I also sense you are running a business rather that swinging a hammer. For both of us the beginning and the end of the process may be the same but the 99% in the middle is a different business.

Aside from the assistance of my wife I do it all myself. No employees, very few contractors and very little margin for error on a finished home that sells for under $60,000.

housingrental

Registered
Fair enough
<

I know I won't ever touch a furnace in my house

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 15 2009, 08:10 PM)
It may be a bad idea for you to do the work yourself but that does not make it a bad idea in general. In my case the work will not be done incorrectly so will not pose a safety risk.

We all have different skill sets and levels of competence. Mine happen to be in the building trades.

Top Bottom