Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Application for Rental

DaveJody

Registered
My husband and I have just purchased our 1st property and are in the process of renting it out. We received an application from a young lady that seems very nice, however she has very little employment information and no previous rental information (she lived at home with her parent). Is it appropriate to ask for her parents to sign the lease agreement with her? Or do we take the chance on her alone? I have spoken to her supervisor who stated that she is a very responsible girl.

If anyone has any ideas as to what we should do, I would love to hear from you.

TylerUzelman

REIN Member
QUOTE (DaveJody @ Mar 24 2008, 04:10 PM) My husband and I have just purchased our 1st property and are in the process of renting it out. We received an application from a young lady that seems very nice, however she has very little employment information and no previous rental information (she lived at home with her parent). Is it appropriate to ask for her parents to sign the lease agreement with her? Or do we take the chance on her alone? I have spoken to her supervisor who stated that she is a very responsible girl.

If anyone has any ideas as to what we should do, I would love to hear from you.

DaveJody,

It really depends on what you would like to do. We have in the past asked for co-signers or parents, to sign the lease. If the tenant is responsible then the parents should have no problem signing with them. But you should know is if the parents or so-signer sign the lease, that is in no way a guarantee that the tenant is responsible. I really think you have to weigh all the facts and come to a decision based on what you think about the tenant. You talked to the employer and they said the tenant was responsible, have you pulled credit? What was your gut feeling when you met them, were they dressed well, on time, asked good questions?

Hope this helps,

lurline

Registered
DaveJody:

In my opinion I would say please get the co-signer. I have had experience with young people who are very polite for the interview and they turn out not too nice once they move in. If she is honest and responsible then her mother/parent should not have a problem signing for her. I would suggest that you run the credit report as well. That`s my opinion.

Lurline

Top Bottom