Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Are you not sure or are you afraid?

TodorYordanov

Registered
I wasn`t planning to write anything this week and then last night my good friend Neil Uttamsingh posts this on Facebook:

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot...and missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why...I succeed." - Michael Jordan

It blew me away.

It`s 1:30 am as I am writing this post.

Few days ago I was looking at a YouTube video about an upcoming movie based on a book I am currently reading, I will tell you about it in another time. One of the people in it said: ` This book is not about learning as much as it is about forgetting what we`ve learned. It`s as simple as that.`

Another friend, Ian Szabo, posted this on his Facebook: `Fear is the roadmap.`

So, at this point you may be asking ` what is the point of all this?

I`ve been thinking quite a bit about FEAR lately.

FEAR about saying the wrong thing.

FEAR about writing something that may offend or upset some of you.

FEAR of just making the wrong move. In many aspects of my life.

And I watch myself almost from six feet away and ask - Are you afraid? What are you afraid of?

How would Michael Jordan take his 7,856[sup]th[/sup] shot, knowing and thinking
that he missed 7,855 times? That`s a trick question. He doesn`t.

FEAR is something we learn.

The problem is when it becomes our `guiding light`. That`s when we must forget and step into FEAR and find true opportunity and power.

Is there any fear you have around investment real estate, tenants and issues?

Don`t be afraid
to post a comment below

sdolson

Registered
I just wanted to give you a quick shout out and say thanks for posting. I really enjoyed reading this article.

Fear is the enemy of progression

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=sdolson]Fear is the enemy of progression

not quite ..

Inaction is the enemy of progression.

Fear is natural and keeps you alive !

I DO have fear standing on an unsecured balcony on the 15th floor [and that's why I usually avoid this or if I must stand way back]

I DO have fear driving along the road from Canmore to Kananaskis along a semi-frozen lake with no guardrail [and I and thousands of motorists did go by every year safely until this year someone plunged in and several people died]

I DO fear rock climbing [and that's why I don't do it]

I DO fear jumping out of an airplane [and that's why I did it with a parachute only]

It is not fear you have to be afraid of, it is INACTION or inappropriate action due to fear !

Progress DESPITE fear [or disabilities or anxieties or lack of skills].

i.e. acknowledge them .. and act accordingly !!

Some people have the wrong sense of fear, and that's why they do stupid investments, are bankrupt or dead. Jumping out of an airplane is not a good idea without a parachute. Ditto rock climbing without proper training or gear.

dplummer

Registered
One thing none of us have to be fearful of..... Thomas telling it straight. :>) I believe that candor is important & we should not be fearful of telling the truth. Doug

gwasser

Registered
We all fear as Thomas and others, including myself admit.

Fear is good as it cautions you to do your due dilligence or it prevents you from an investment that is inappropriate for you at the time.

That does not mean that fear should parallize you and make you stop investing. Sometimes, overcoming your fear - say during a bear market, is the smartest move you can make. The best investors admit of having fear. Fear is just another tool and it is up to you how you use it.

Rickson9

Registered
I have always enjoyed investing in a pervasive climate of fear. It's safer and more profitable.

Best regards.

margaretcowan

REIN Member
I've often felt fear. I remember when I did the "fire walk". I was petrified. We didn't have to do it if we didn't want to so I was going to opt out. First we did a lot of practicing in a room and even joked about it to lighten things up. Outside in the line-up by the hot coal pit, I decided to go in the middle of the line and see others doing it successfully first.

As I learned in our practice, I walked quickly and lightly over the hot coals looking at a team member at the end of the coal pit and into the arms of that team member waiting for me at the end. I was shaking and tears came but I did it.

I learned I can overcome fear with knowledge, good models and a supportive team. Like REIN.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=gwasser]Fear is just another tool and it is up to you how you use it.

Brilliant !!

Trademark that phrase !

Top Bottom