Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Are You Under `Resolution` Pressure?

JoeRagona

Registered
I define `resolution` as an acknowledgement of some ACTION you need to take. Isn`t that what most people promise themselves every New Year, to do something better or differently?

So the first few weeks of the year a lot of focus is placed on the New Year resolution because it is customary for you to use this as a major turning point in your life and the pressure builds to fulfill that promise.

Been there, done that.

Yup, every year I made myself a promise and every year I would revert to the same thing I was doing only weeks before feeling guilty because I 'failed'.

But today it`s different,

there is no longer pressure because I haven`t changed my focus or resolution since 2005. In fact, that was the last year I officially made a resolution...but, it wasn`t until February of that year I actually put myself in action to commit

Lazy Promise or Commitment?

As I mentioned, my resolution became commitment
about six weeks into 2005. I remember sitting at my desk (at my previous company) shaking my head thinking `am I going to do this?` & my resolution commitment STARTED as most others were falling back into the old routine again. Was I disappointed or guilty because I was starting this late? No - I was proud to finally reach the commitment stage

I think there is too much pressure on making a resolution - if you are going to change your life it only takes you one SECOND to do it; but it may takes years of promises to get there. Isn't that really the truth?

Think about skydiving for moment; once you commit to this, there is no turning back; when you go up, the only way you are getting to the ground is by jumping. They won`t bring you back down because you chicken out, uh-uh, they will cut the engine in the plane if they have to. So you had better be sure you want to do this.

That's what commitment is. And that is why so many people avoid sky-diving for one. Your sky-diving could be anything, but let's focus on Real Estate investing.

What's Changed For You?

I ask this in the most positive respectful way, because I challenge those who tell me they are going to make the leap starting January 1st. What has changed
in your life from two weeks ago to this week, to make you take ACTION? Are you ready to commit to your jump? Is turning the calendar over the push you needed to commit?

I would suggest nothing has changed ` your mind was actually made up a long time ago and maybe, just maybe, everything building up to this point is what makes you commit today.

• You know what you WANT ` that`s easy

[*]
    You know what you SHOULD do ` that`s harder

You know what you WILL do ` that`s reality

But it`s the key. YOU already know what you WILL do right?. You can`t fool yourself and it`s why you HAVE to get to the commitment stage to move past the PROMISES.

People see the commitment in my eyes and I realized it even more when Neil Uttamsingh of First Rental Property pointed it out in this article. When YOU have the `Eye of the Tiger` people will notice and the pressure is gone, it's gone because you are willing to to anything to win.

But, if you are missing the PURE, HONEST, BURNING PASSION to commit to your promise ` YOU ARE NOT READY
`yet! And, you need to keep training (educating) yourself to move forward.

I`ll be the first one to tell you that because I`ve been there so many times myself. I trust in truly believing in myself FIRST.

Are You Committed?

SO, should this be your year, fantastic ` let`s go
` let me help
` I`ll be your accountability partner. Send me an email @ [email protected] and I`ll help keep you accountable for your actions ` I`ll answer your questions to get you going, whatever it is. Tell me what you are going to do in 2011 for your Real Estate investing and together let`s commit!!!

Rickson9

Registered
I've never made any new years resolutions before and I can't see any reason to start now. I can't even think about what I would like to accomplish. However, I hope everybody achieves what they set out to do in this new year!

Remember, if you want to increase the chance of success, don't tell anybody your goals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHopJHSlVo4

Also, if you want to increase your willpower, think in terms of "Will I?" intead of "I will!":

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-willpower-paradox

Best regards.

JoeRagona

Registered
There is always another way of looking at something and what this proves is that each goal is reached by the individual's commitment to achieve. Some people NEED support and accountability while others like to 'surprise' the world with what they have accomplished.

I have built my life with letting the world know what I am doing - why? It's not only because I want to achieve, it's about vulnerability and accountability. The more I 'spill the beans' the more vulnerable I become - I learn from getting close to my goal and look at this as a positive move not something I quit or failed.

You seem to acknowledge you are a Millionaire and have nothing to accomplish? That seems odd to me. But that's just me.

Believe me, I have a lot of what people are 'shooting' for and could have done many wild things in my life but chose to continue pressing forward to a larger plan. That plan is widely known because it is built around positively impacting others. To not share this would be selfish I think.

Maybe there IS something you can accomplish because if you believe there isn't you are not thinking big enough.

Respectfully,

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=JoeRagona]Maybe there IS something you can accomplish because if you believe there isn't you are not thinking big enough.

You're likely right Joe. However I can't think of anything at the moment, but I've never been good at thinking big. If it were something it wouldn't be financially related.

Best regards.

LondonHomes

Registered
Great post! Very motitivational.

I made a resolution to increase my income significantly this year, but I have yet to commit to it. Of course I have already had the "great we are going to be doing the same BS again" moment you mentioned, so the post has struck a cord with me.

Now I just need to figure out what I need to do to commit.

housingrental

Registered
I think its odd that you list yourself as a millionaire in your tag line - Why? What are you hoping to accomplish by doing this?

JoeRagona

Registered
Thanks for the kind words!!!

Let me ask, did you NOT want to increase your income LAST year also? :)

It's always been there and I'm sure you are committed, you just need to figure out how to STICK to that committment.

If this struck a chord with you have you had a chance to read more 'inspiring' posts over at my blog?

Check out http://engagedinvestor.ca - sign up for the free newsletter and "like" the page while your there.

If you want some guidance or accoutability help with your committment, drop me a note at [email protected].

Great Speed Forward with everything this year!!

R

RussellWestcott

Joey once again another great post... thanks for your contribution, a great pragmatic approach to looking at Real Estate.

I personally have a very detailed ritual when it comes to setting my resolutions (Goals) for the new year (Perhaps I'll save this for another post or presentation). I treat this planning process as a very important part to setting my year up to be a success. I like to set my intention for the year, early in the year, and then spend the rest of the time taking actions implementing my intention.

At the January REIN` workshops across the country REIN` members are in for a treat. Don will be sharing his insights into setting your year up to the best ever. This will be a brand new presentation and he has not even shared these insights with the office. Looking forward to this one.

Members, the January workshops are some of the biggest events of the year. Plus this is one of those events that we set aside for guests (although limited spots). If you would like to kick your year off on the right foot, and attend one of the REIN` workshops across the country you can read all the details by >> clicking here

If you are interested in attending the all-day workshop in Edmonton January 15th, you can read all the details >>HERE

JoeRagona

Registered
Russell, this is truly part of my passion to assist others in their journey and with the guidance and help you, Don and the rest of REIN have done for me and my family, it's the first stage of my way to 'give back' so I thank you for allowing me the forum to post my thoughts.

Secondly, I too have the same approach to reaching goals (implementing actions to achieve) but do not have a ritual set out yet. This seems very interesting and I cannot wait to read and see your presentation. There is always something I pick up from your insights.

As well, I'm sure I will not be the only one Don will amaze with this New Year gift. I can't wait for the next event, I'm hooked and it's been waaaay to long with my 'fix'.

Cheers!! See you in a couple weeks.

LondonHomes

Registered
[quote user=JoeRagona]Thanks for the kind words!!!

Let me ask, did you NOT want to increase your income LAST year also? :)

It's always been there and I'm sure you are committed, you just need to figure out how to STICK to that committment.

If this struck a chord with you have you had a chance to read more 'inspiring' posts over at my blog?

Like everybody it is not that I did not want to make more money last year, but rather I did not have a goal to do anything about it. Like the old saying goes I have been "working to hard to make any money".

I have checked out your blog and it's got a lot of great content, I may end up commenting on it directly.

JoeRagona

Registered
I applaud you for being honest with yourself! I think you are well on your way to 'updating' it this year!

Thanks for looking at the blog and I welcome your comments and being a part of the circle. While you are there "like" the page!

See you soon!

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=JoeRagona]

When YOU have the `Eye of the Tiger` people will notice and the pressure is gone, it's gone because you are willing to do to anything to win.

I really disagree with this comment. I don't think a "win-at-all-costs" mentality is healthy. There are many things I'm not willing to do to make money, and I expect to continue not doing them in 2011.

I do definitely agree with your point about the time of year not being an important catalyst. Ultimately, taking action in your own life is your responsibility on Jan 1, April 11, Oct 2, and every other day of the year. I don't set resolutions, but I do update my various plans often to check my progress, and make any changes required by changing conditions/opportunities.

Regards,

Michael

JoeRagona

Registered
Hi Michael,

Interesting way of looking at it. I agree that an 'all cost' way of thinking is incorrect especially when it goes against moral standards. This quote to me means that I am sticking to my original plan and not allowing the diversions to take me away from my goal. Eye of the Tiger - focused. I used to let shiny object syndrome rule my life and in Real Estate, I have a plan set out and I stick to it.

Hope that makes more sense.

R

RussellWestcott

[quote user=bizaro86][quote user=JoeRagona]

When YOU have the `Eye of the Tiger` people will notice and the pressure is gone, it's gone because you are willing to do to anything to win.

I really disagree with this comment. I don't think a "win-at-all-costs" mentality is healthy. There are many things I'm not willing to do to make money, and I expect to continue not doing them in 2011.

I do definitely agree with your point about the time of year not being an important catalyst. Ultimately, taking action in your own life is your responsibility on Jan 1, April 11, Oct 2, and every other day of the year. I don't set resolutions, but I do update my various plans often to check my progress, and make any changes required by changing conditions/opportunities.

Regards,

Michael

This reminds me of one of my favorite books... one that I read every year. The Ultimate Secret to Getting Absolutely Everything you want by Mike Hernaki.

The main concept of the book talks about "a
willingness to do whatever it takes to accomplish your desired outcome". Many years ago I changed this theme to:

"a willingness
to do whatever it takes, ethically and legal,

to accomplish your desired outcome"

Highly recommend this book to everyone, makes an impact, short and you can read it in one sitting

JoeRagona

Registered
Thanks Russell!

That's an excellent way of saying it and what I meant without even knowing it :) I'll look at adding this read to my agenda for the next three months.

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=RussellWestcott]"a willingness to do whatever it takes, ethically and legal,

to accomplish your desired outcome"

I like this formulation much better. Most people choose to not take action because its too difficult, or someone said it wouldn't work, or the game was on, or they have an opportunity to invest in a company that's selling naming rights to parts of the moon, or whatever. None of those are good reasons to take your "eye off the prize."

If a proposed investment depends on proceeds from selling endangered species or human organs or something, its obviously a pass. I wouldn't presume to put my moral code to anyone else, except to say that if something doesn't feel like it's the right thing to do, carefully consider why you're doing it. Accumulating an ever greater pot of money (a la Scrooge McDuck) is not the end-all be-all.

Regards, and good work on the blog to Joe!

Michael

JoeRagona

Registered
Well said Michael, I'm happy to see we are on the same page here.

Thanks for the props on the blog - the idea is to share past experience and new thoughts about Real Estate investing by eliminating the 'fear' a lot of 'investors' have.

Cheers

margaretcowan

REIN Member
Russell, it sounds like you may be following Les Hewitt's goal setting and tracking in his seven life categories of health & wellness, just for me, fun, relationships, business, finance and contribution. Right after the Oct 09 presentation Les gave at the BC REIN meeting on his "Movie Manifesto" system, I completed all the exercises and started filling out weekly goal sheets in each category. I'm still doing it.

2010 was one of my best years all round ever, partly because I followed Les' system, and gave myself more balance, more fun, more time with friends, more creative time and gave more to my friends. And I was more active in real estate too. I sold a five unit property I'd been trying to sell for years, got a nice cheque and used part of it to celebrate a milestone birthday twice--in Vancouver and in Sicily. A certain amount of karma kicked in too.

Cheers and Happy 2011 to everyone on this wonderful forum!

Margaret

Mama Margaret & Friends Cooking Adventures In Italy

www.italycookingschools.com

NeilUttamsingh

Registered
Margaret and or Russell,

Are these '7 Life Categories' discussed in Les' book, 'The Power of Focus'?

Best Regards,

Neil.

R

RussellWestcott

[quote user=margaretcowan]Russell, it sounds like you may be following Les Hewitt's goal setting and tracking in his seven life categories of health & wellness, just for me, fun, relationships, business, finance and contribution. Right after the Oct 09 presentation Les gave at the BC REIN meeting on his "Movie Manifesto" system, I completed all the exercises and started filling out weekly goal sheets in each category. I'm still doing it.

2010 was one of my best years all round ever, partly because I followed Les' system, and gave myself more balance, more fun, more time with friends, more creative time and gave more to my friends. And I was more active in real estate too. I sold a five unit property I'd been trying to sell for years, got a nice cheque and used part of it to celebrate a milestone birthday twice--in Vancouver and in Sicily. A certain amount of karma kicked in too.

Cheers and Happy 2011 to everyone on this wonderful forum!

Margaret

Mama Margaret & Friends Cooking Adventures In Italy

www.italycookingschools.com

Margaret congratulations on your actions and sticking with a system that works, sounds like you have created results using Les's program... and RESULTS are the only thing that matters. I too am a fan of the Power of Focus, a tremendous book and impactful system that produces.

I'll add another reply to this post and attempt to describe my ritual of daily results planning

Top Bottom