Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Average water consumption per apt in large building

streetcore

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
I just calculated over 3 years of water bill history that the per apt water consumption in a 24 unit 1970's era building I have is between 975 - 1100 liters per apt per month, 700-800K liters per month on the building.

There are only 2 appliances in each unit, no dishwashers, and the laundromat has 2 washers set on cold water only, which has resulted in less usage of the laundromat, approx 110 loads per month or roughly 15 000 liters, which is minor comparitively.

Anybody have any input on typical water consumption per unit? When I go under the building to listen at the main drain pipe there usually isn't any sound lasting longer than a typical flush or shower drain.

DanieLL

Registered
I have to guess that your decimal is off by one digit as I noticed we get 6-7tons/month/unit.
Alternatively, it takes 4%-6% of rents.

Check with you utility company. We had 2 instances when the meter was off (in one case for 3 years) and underreporting or going on estiamtes only to be smashed with a +$15000 true up bill all of a sudden.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
I suggest getting the meter calibrated to ensure that it is giving the correct reading. Also there are some very simple water saving solutions you can do (that I have done) to lower the consumption. Including new showerheads, aerators on taps and even gone so far as to go to quality low-flow toilets in some instances.

Top Bottom