Bank lost post dated cheques

terri

Registered
Has this ever happened to anyone else? My bank usually deposits the funds from my posted dated cheques into my account by the 2nd of each month, so when the funds did not show up by mod
June, I contacted them. My tenants have confirmed that the rent has not come out, so it's not a matter of depositing the funds into the wrong account. I have a transaction record at home along with photocopies of all the cheques that I make the transaction teller photocopy upon receipt of the cheques (not standard practice). Unfortunately, I'm out of the country at the moment. I will be home later this week and take in the photocopies and statement in person if it doesn't get resolved before then.
What is interesting is that although they were able to give me a print out of the total amount of funds to be deposited into my account on June 1st, they themselves don't seem to have a record of that transaction on file.
Has anyone else ever had this problem? What was the issue in the end?

Thanks
Terri

terri

Registered
No one? I'm really the only person that this has happened to? Okay, the bank said it's never happened to them before either, so I guess I have to believe them. LOL.

Hopefully no one else ever will, but here's what I learned from it, for anyone who does give their bank post dated cheques to deposit for them:

My branch does not keep any record of receiving the cheques. It is also not standard practise to take copies of the cheques received or document the issuer or cheque #. They record the date to be cashed and the amount of each cheque and that is it. This page is then included with the cheques and sent to the back office to be deposited on the correct date. When the cheques were lost, so was all documentation that the bank had of ever receiving any cheques from me.

I've always requested that the teller photocopy the cheques and initial the photocopy for me and I included this with the print out that they give me that shows the date and amount of each cheque for my files...just in case. I'm really glad that I do this because now it will be easy to let the issuer know the cheque # of the lost cheque and give them a copy with the teller's initials if they require proof.

From here on out, the bank's customer service rep has agreed that the branch will also keep a copy of this information on file in case this ever happens again. This isn't such a big deal as long as I have proof, except for the fact that I was out of the country and my documentation was filed away safely at home :)

The bank was very apologetic and did agree to cover the cost of putting stop payments on all the lost cheques. I guess this is also an instance where it's important to have a good reserve fund: when the bank loses all the rent cheques for the whole month. LOL.