Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bank Owned Properties in BC

greg12

Registered
I`ve been trying to find out information on how best to "creatively" approach a banked-owned listed property here in BC, but there seems to be precious little information that I can find. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Here is a hypothetical example:

[list type=decimal][*]Property ARV is $460,000; needs minor repairs totaling $10,000 max[*]Bank lists the property at $400,000.[*]Buyer A submits unconditional offer for $380,000 which is accepted and court date is setBuyer B shows up in court and offers $390,000. The judge awards court ordered sale to buyer B throwing out Buyer A`s offer in the processNext day, buyer B sells the property to Mr & Mrs C for $410,000 who are owner-occupants and are very happy about the good dealBuyer B pockets a profit of $20,000 less closing costs[/list type=decimal]My question is: How did buyer B manage to engineer this transaction? My understanding is that she will not have been allowed to assign the contract to a third party. At least banks don`t like to have that as a condition in the contract. Closing the court ordered sale and in turn selling it to buyer C on a separate contract should also attract Property Transfer Tax. This should have eaten a sizable chunk of her profit. So I am still at a loss as to how investors perform this type of transaction in BC. Any suggestions or experiences?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (greg12 @ Apr 15 2010, 10:45 PM) ...
[/list]My question is: How did buyer B manage to engineer this transaction? ..So I am still at a loss as to how investors perform this type of transaction in BC. Any suggestions or experiences?
you buy it with cash .. and then re-sell in a few days .. and pay land transfer tax twice !

This assume you have access to $400,000 or so in cash .. from a line-of-credit perhaps or from a cash rich JV partner !

Thus, the spread has to be large enough for 2x taxes and interest on cash/JV partner`s money !

Thus: in theory a great idea .. in practice done by pro`s with (their own or JV partner) cash only !

Top Bottom