Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Barrie:Box Elder Beetles Problem

donksky

Registered
These harmless bugs are congregating outdoors in droves in my south facing duplex facing a forest. Tenants want me to do something. 2 pest companies in Barrie already told me to just wait for the frost to kill them off - that it`s a waste of money as they will keep flying in - trying to find a warm spot. One article I read said they may linger when it`s sunny in a mild winter. Tenants say them disappear (into woodwork??) at night and show up again when it`s sunny. I don`t have major holes or anything but they seem more busy in the joints where woodwork join together, corners, beams. Raid only stuns them & you still have to swat them. Pest companies said to throw soapy water which kills on contact and/or pesticide. What should I do?!!

REINteam

Registered
Hi Donna,

As you have already found out, most pest control companies don`t bother with box elder bugs. First and foremost these guys are absolutely harmless, so from an environmental standpoint there is zero reason to spray chemicals. Second, your best bet to actually control these bugs would be to remove female box elder trees from your immediate area next spring along with efforts to seal your home from the outside (caulking, maintenance, etc). You could attempt to seal up the home this fall, but the bugs are already around so some are going to get inside.

Personally I wouldn`t do anything, but then again I`m a bug guy and having box elders in my house doesn`t bother me, the kids love em! I`d say the best thing to do is give your tenants some information on them so they understand just how harmless they are and why they are around. Also, let your tenants know why you`re not having a company spray chemicals...to protect them and their family!! I`d also start working on sealing up the house, but that`s probably as far as I`d go - with a tube of appropriate caulk and some careful detective work you should be able to seal up the unit pretty well.

donksky

Registered
Thanks Ray, the tenants are accusing me of ignoring them though - & I already offered that they reduce Nov rent by $50. The problem is across from the house is woods or forest that I do not own and I believe most of the bugs are coming from that area.

Top Bottom