Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bathroom fixes...

JoefromTO

REIN Member
I need to update one of my apartments. There are these companies who cover the existing tub. Has anyone had any experience with this wether this is a good or bad option? There doesn`t appear to be any mold issues, only lots of dirty grout and an old/ugly tub.

Also, would you recommend a specific contractor/company...specific to Toronto.

Thank you.

REINteam

Registered
How goes it Joe??

My mother in law just did this, bath tub cover thing. Personally I thought the price was pretty hefty for what it was, but they ended up doing a great job and it looks 1000X better, very clean, in and out in a day. I can get back to you with cost, but if I remember correctly it was too rich for my blood for an insert - great for mother in laws, but I would probably go a cheaper route for my rental - one piece insert from rona or something like that. This was in BC though, might be more cost effective in TO (but I doubt it).

For what it`s worth the quality seemed good, and the insert covered everything: tub, walls and ceiling and they installed a new faucet and shower head.

JoefromTO

REIN Member
QUOTE (REINteam @ Apr 6 2010, 01:43 PM) How goes it Joe??

My mother in law just did this, bath tub cover thing. Personally I thought the price was pretty hefty for what it was, but they ended up doing a great job and it looks 1000X better, very clean, in and out in a day. I can get back to you with cost, but if I remember correctly it was too rich for my blood for an insert - great for mother in laws, but I would probably go a cheaper route for my rental - one piece insert from rona or something like that. This was in BC though, might be more cost effective in TO (but I doubt it).

For what it`s worth the quality seemed good, and the insert covered everything: tub, walls and ceiling and they installed a new faucet and shower head.

Hiya Ray! Long time no speak. When you say expensive, any idea how much? What should I google?

MonteDobson

Registered
A couple of years ago we received a quote from a company called BATHFITTER to essentially recover the old tub, new hardware etc. It came to $3900, which I thought was ridiculously high. I can renovate and redo the whole bathroom for less than that.

NicoleChodak

Registered
Hi Joe,

Not sure if you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore in your area, but it might be worth checking out as you can get unbelieve prices for used bathtubs, sinks, toliets etc. We renovated our whole bathroom, tub (cost us $35 and looked almost new), tub surround, sink, toilet, paint, floor and tile for $500 (not including labour). You can google Habitat for Humanity to see if there is a store in your area. Plus it supports a great cause as well!

Nicole

REINteam

Registered
Hi Joe...definitely been a long time!

The cost was very similar to what Monte quoted...and it was the same company - bathfitter. I don`t have the exact price she paid, but it was right in the $3000-$4000 mark, closer to $3000 if I remember correctly. So yes, I was shocked when I found out about that, but she had already paid - just to give you an idea....she also got talked into buying a $3000 or more vacuum from a door to door guy - she is possibly the easiest sell I have ever seen!!!

But I digress. Personally the cost was far too high for what it is...but some people will pay a lot for convenience.

Way too expensive for a rental and if it were my personal residence I`d pay a little more and reno the bathroom all together.

And just an FYI, for the cost I was expecting high end fixtures and such...but no, very common faucets and shower head (probably $100 for the set at rona).

JoefromTO

REIN Member
QUOTE (REINteam @ Apr 7 2010, 12:29 PM) Hi Joe...definitely been a long time!

The cost was very similar to what Monte quoted...and it was the same company - bathfitter. I don`t have the exact price she paid, but it was right in the $3000-$4000 mark, closer to $3000 if I remember correctly. So yes, I was shocked when I found out about that, but she had already paid - just to give you an idea....she also got talked into buying a $3000 or more vacuum from a door to door guy - she is possibly the easiest sell I have ever seen!!!

But I digress. Personally the cost was far too high for what it is...but some people will pay a lot for convenience.

Way too expensive for a rental and if it were my personal residence I`d pay a little more and reno the bathroom all together.

And just an FYI, for the cost I was expecting high end fixtures and such...but no, very common faucets and shower head (probably $100 for the set at rona).

Thanks for the responses. I may have to ask around for someone with experience in this type of task and hire him/her privately. Then buy the items needed. I love the Habitat for humanity idea...Thanks!

mark186

Registered
Are you looking at gettingthe tub covered or reglazed?

I did a reno last year and the existing tub was 4` not the standard 5`. After looking around and finding that 4` tubs were exceeding expensive and determining from the layout of the washroom that that was all the space I had, I went the reglazing route. It cost about $300 and your old tub looks like new. Look in kijiji and search bathtub reglazing if this is what you want.

JoefromTO

REIN Member
QUOTE (mark186 @ Apr 7 2010, 03:53 PM) Are you looking at gettingthe tub covered or reglazed?

I did a reno last year and the existing tub was 4` not the standard 5`. After looking around and finding that 4` tubs were exceeding expensive and determining from the layout of the washroom that that was all the space I had, I went the reglazing route. It cost about $300 and your old tub looks like new. Look in kijiji and search bathtub reglazing if this is what you want.

Hmm..that`s interesting. Well, the wall tiles need attention as well. Covering everything would improve everything and be done in a day. Sounds expensive though. That`s why I was wondering if everything that "Bathfitter" uses is available at Rona (or whoever) and if I could hire a handyman to do the work...I`d stand to save some money.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (JoefromTO @ Apr 7 2010, 03:01 PM) Hmm..that`s interesting. Well, the wall tiles need attention as well. Covering everything would improve everything and be done in a day. Sounds expensive though. That`s why I was wondering if everything that "Bathfitter" uses is available at Rona (or whoever) and if I could hire a handyman to do the work...I`d stand to save some money.

I would recommend against doing an insert, as its expensive. I did extensive research on the subject when we renovated our condo here in Calgary, and I found a lot of complaints about the quality of inserts as well, how they don`t always hold up well over time. Also, bathfitter and the like are actually small franchises, so it depends greatly on who you get, and how good a job that individual does.

We ended up going with getting the tub (and surrounding tile) reglazed. It looks great and was ~$500.

Michael

terri

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Apr 12 2010, 08:27 AM) I would recommend against doing an insert, as its expensive. I did extensive research on the subject when we renovated our condo here in Calgary, and I found a lot of complaints about the quality of inserts as well, how they don`t always hold up well over time. Also, bathfitter and the like are actually small franchises, so it depends greatly on who you get, and how good a job that individual does.

We ended up going with getting the tub (and surrounding tile) reglazed. It looks great and was ~$500.

Michael

hey Joe,

I would reccommend against getting everything reglazed if you plan on keeping the property for a while. I went that route once and within a yr, yr and a half there was already some peeling. It`s a fine short term solution.

The quotes to get a surround fitted do sound high. You probably could get a whole new tub and tile installed. I prefer tile to the one piece surround, but that`s my personal taste. I know that many people like the one piece surround for rentals because it`s lower maintenance.

Terri

dsmandato

REIN Member
QUOTE (terri @ Apr 12 2010, 03:16 PM) hey Joe,

I would reccommend against getting everything reglazed if you plan on keeping the property for a while. I went that route once and within a yr, yr and a half there was already some peeling. It`s a fine short term solution.

The quotes to get a surround fitted do sound high. You probably could get a whole new tub and tile installed. I prefer tile to the one piece surround, but that`s my personal taste. I know that many people like the one piece surround for rentals because it`s lower maintenance.

Terri

Fitted tubs from Bath Fitter are convenient if you don`t have a contractor or simply the know how of replacing a tub. We did have this done at our first rental property and like Ray mentioned earlier the workmanship is second to none. That said, the cost just doesn`t justify the means when it cost us about $500-$700 to replace tub surround and tub in our buildings.

Find a plumber, buy the the tub and tub surround (preferably one-piece) and get the plumber to install it.

ibuildstuff

Registered
There is no way you will get a one piece fibreglass tub into an existing dwelling without major renovations, so when you take into account the price of a "bathfitter" type solution, make sure you take into account the fact that you will not have to seal, repair or regrout any tile work. These things can be costly, so, even if it sounds costly for the bathfitter...do your due dilligence and get 2 or more quotes and make sure to take into account the $1,000 worth of drywall/tile work it will save you. Removing an existing tub and replacing it will definately be a costly option regardless, and if an insert can be completed in 1-2 days...time is money.

Top Bottom