Bed Bugs Found by Tenant. Who should Pay the Pest Control Company in This Case..?

Nir

REIN Member
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto
Hi,
The tenant in a triplex called me earlier mentioning he has bed bugs. The tenant also mentioned he knows how the bed bugs got there - he went to visit a lady who had bed bugs and probably carried some in his cloth back to his unit. It should cost only around $500 to treat his unit and 2 other units (as it is a triplex all units should be treated). Unfortunately, I`m not sure he has the money to pay even if he had to. Still, I wanted to ask who should pay the pest control company in this case?
I, the tenant or maybe 50/50? THANKS.

REINteam

Registered
Aug 22, 2007
Hi there,

Not the best news in the world...but in ON, and most provinces, the landlord gets the bill. Here is the wording from Toronto Public Health http://www.toronto.ca/health/bedbugs/right...actsheet.htm#11 :

"Landlords are responsible for the costs for treatment. Landlords can apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board for an order to charge a tenant (extra money above rent or key deposit) if a tenant causes them needless expense, such as missing an appointment to let a pest control operator into the unit. The tenant will have a chance to explain, and the Board will decide."

Even though your tenant brought them in you pay. It`s part of keeping the housing pest free. Get on it quick b/c the faster you deal with it the better - call in the pros. When you`re looking for a company make sure you get someone that has experience with bed bugs and ask them what each tenant should do before they come (clean up, declutter, etc). Most won`t offer a guarantee, but ask anyways.

I know it`s stinks, I`d at least expect 50/50, but that`s just not the case. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ray Reuter
Real Estate Investment Network

Nir

REIN Member
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto
Thank you Ray for the input.

I guess another option is just to negotiate such issues with the tenant directly... instead of involving authority when not critical.

Regards,
Neil

REINteam

Registered
Aug 22, 2007
Hi Neil,

In the eye of the law you pay. But yes, I suppose you could negotiate with your tenant, possibly a payment structure so you can recoup over time. In your situation it might be worth a shot, especially when your tenant has clearly stated he brought them in.

Regards,

Ray Reuter

Nir

REIN Member
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto
QUOTE (REINteam @ Aug 19 2009, 09:20 AM) Hi Neil,

In the eye of the law you pay. But yes, I suppose you could negotiate with your tenant, possibly a payment structure so you can recoup over time. In your situation it might be worth a shot, especially when your tenant has clearly stated he brought them in.

Regards,

Ray Reuter

Exactly, he clearly stated that. good tenant, eh. however, I think I`ll still suggest to pay 50% so everyonre is happy. cheers, Neil

RisingWealth

Registered
Jun 4, 2008
Maple Ridge BC
QUOTE (REINteam @ Aug 18 2009, 03:05 PM) Hi there,

Not the best news in the world...but in ON, and most provinces, the landlord gets the bill. Here is the wording from Toronto Public Health http://www.toronto.ca/health/bedbugs/right...actsheet.htm#11 :

"Landlords are responsible for the costs for treatment. Landlords can apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board for an order to charge a tenant (extra money above rent or key deposit) if a tenant causes them needless expense, such as missing an appointment to let a pest control operator into the unit. The tenant will have a chance to explain, and the Board will decide."

Even though your tenant brought them in you pay. It`s part of keeping the housing pest free. Get on it quick b/c the faster you deal with it the better - call in the pros. When you`re looking for a company make sure you get someone that has experience with bed bugs and ask them what each tenant should do before they come (clean up, declutter, etc). Most won`t offer a guarantee, but ask anyways.

I know it`s stinks, I`d at least expect 50/50, but that`s just not the case. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ray Reuter

Ray,

I have an empty suite in a building that is being fumigated for b-bugs and I would like to give my tenant some information on the critters and thought that during your presentation at a fall bc meeting you directed us toward a website or perhaps it was a handout that I`ve misplaced?
I`m trying to put together a procedure to help prevent problems.

Regards,
Mark

REINteam

Registered
Aug 22, 2007
Hi Mark,

I have tons and tons of info on bed bugs, so if you need more just let me know what you need specifically and odds are I have it. Hope this helps.

Ray Reuter

QUOTE (RisingWealth @ Sep 2 2009, 04:00 PM)
Ray,

I have an empty suite in a building that is being fumigated for b-bugs and I would like to give my tenant some information on the critters and thought that during your presentation at a fall bc meeting you directed us toward a website or perhaps it was a handout that I've misplaced?

I'm trying to put together a procedure to help prevent problems.

Regards,

Mark