Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BEST MEANS OF ADVERTISING IN HAMILTON ONT.?

patriciacw

REIN Member
I`d be interested in hearing from investors in Hamilton:What have you found to be the best (or most ineffective) source of online or news advertising for tenants in Hamilton?(I`m not talking about window or lawn signs here.)I`m finding Kijiji hand-down the best (except that, currently, I`ve bumped into technical difficulties with them that I`ll have to iron out.)
There have been a only few responses in the past year from Renters News
and a few more from Craigslist
. One from Bargain City
. None from the Hamilton Spectator
. None from View It.

(I had used View It and Gotta Rent in Toronto with no success, although I think the pictures and copy were uniformly good throughout.)

What has been your experience?

OlegP

Registered
QUOTE (patriciacw @ Jan 6 2009, 09:06 PM) I`d be interested in hearing from investors in Hamilton:What have you found to be the best (or most ineffective) source of online or news advertising for tenants in Hamilton?(I`m not talking about window or lawn signs here.)I`m finding Kijiji hand-down the best (except that, currently, I`ve bumped into technical difficulties with them that I`ll have to iron out.)
There have been a only few responses in the past year from Renters News
and a few more from Craigslist
. One from Bargain City
. None from the Hamilton Spectator
. None from View It.

(I had used View It and Gotta Rent in Toronto with no success, although I think the pictures and copy were uniformly good throughout.)

What has been your experience?

I completely agree with your observations. Kijiji seems to work best. Hamilton Spectator also produces responses. Gottarent.com is distant third.

holymoly

Registered
In my limited experience (house rented for the first time), Kijiji was the most effective.

rforgiel

REIN Member
I used gottarent.com. Suppose next time will use Kiiji.
Lawn signs brought in a lot of calls but they were the wrong type of calls.
Also tried putting up flyers in the hospitals and got minimal calls.
The Spectator was expensive but did not bring in much.

Regards,
Ramon Forgiel

EdRenkema

Registered
Most activity from Kijiji - hands down.
Viewit - 30 days no calls.
Gottarent - 80 days, no calls, a few emails.
Craigslist - zero
Hamilton Spec - 30 days, about 10 calls
Royal Lepage - one call and viewing

Depending on your target market the Spec is still a viable means of exposure and people will call.
Kijiji and Gottarent get the most exposure for online ads.

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jan 7 2009, 08:31 PM) Most activity from Kijiji - hands down.
Viewit - 30 days no calls.
Gottarent - 80 days, no calls, a few emails.
Craigslist - zero
Hamilton Spec - 30 days, about 10 calls
Royal Lepage - one call and viewing

Depending on your target market the Spec is still a viable means of exposure and people will call.
Kijiji and Gottarent get the most exposure for online ads.

From which did your eventual tenant come?

And congrats -you worked hard for that one!

gregA

Registered
Depending on where you`re renting - and your target market - I`d recommend the McMaster off-campus housing website. http://macoffcampus.mcmaster.ca/

It`s the main place for undergrads looking for student housing in the west end, but I`ve had really good success using it to find grad students or young professionals just out of school, or returning for MBA`s, etc. It`s not just students that look there for listings. And it`s pretty cheap for a 3 week listing.

Mohawk also has a similar one, although I`ve never personally used it.
http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Discover/curSt..._Resources.html

Greg.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Jan 7 2009, 09:08 PM) From which did your eventual tenant come?

And congrats -you worked hard for that one!

Kijiji

and thanks, I worked 2- 16 hour days, home for 1 night, met tenant in morning to hold hand and sign lease, collect and deposit cheques, back to work, up all night and next day, now home again for 3 to 4 days to catch up on all this.
Tired and looking forward to a vacation.

Top Bottom