Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Best place to buy on Vancouver Isl.

KevinMatwichuk

Registered
Looking to purchase a property (probably a townhouse) on Vancouver Island somewhere which we will rent for the next few years and then eventually use personally for a portion of the year.

Any suggestions on where the best place to look would be. Currently considering either Comox or Victoria because of easy access from Edmonton.

Thanks

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (KevinMatwichuk @ May 3 2009, 10:10 AM) ..considering either Comox or Victoria because of easy access from Edmonton.

indeed .. or within one hour: Nanaimo, Chemainus, Campbell River, ...

the further north the cheaper .. and the further away from ocean or major cities or airports the cheaper ..

many many many options ..

also try across the strait in Powell River ..

smack123

Registered
Nanaimo Airport is currently being extended and upgraded and will be able to accomodate 767`s, and thus will be able to compete with Comox and Victoria for air service. The only reason Comox has Westjet is they have the air force base, thus had a facility to acomodate

The Nanaimo Regional District (130,000+) has 4 times the population base of the Comox Valley and is considered the "hub" of Vancouver Island.

Victoria property values are over-inflated, like Vancouver, and it`s located at the very southern tip of Vancouver Island.

I would go with Nanaimo, but that`s just me....

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (smack123 @ May 3 2009, 07:06 PM) ..

I would go with Nanaimo, but that`s just me....
a good option indeed .. but just one of many opportunities !

We own a building in Campbell River, 3 in Powell River and are considering one in Nanaimo as we speak .. the PRICE is the issue ..

InvestagainInc

Registered
Lots of great options on the island. it really depends on what you are looking for. A couple of things to consider are:

how close is it to the ferry terminal?
how close is it to the international airport?

The pain about the island is getting there so you want it to be as easy as possible to get to the property. If you have to drive for four hours after taking a ferry it could make for a long trip! especially if you have to take two ferrys which is the case if you buy on one of the islands just off the main island.

If you are looking for a quite retirement style option check out Qualicum Beach or Parksville near Nanaimo. They have lots of owner/rentals and its a popular spot to get away. Victoria is always a good choice as it is easy to rent and very central. I personally love Tofino but its a bit of a hike to get there! Might not be the best for an investment though.

Top Bottom