Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Best source for kitchen cabinets?

KevinMatwichuk

Registered
Just wondering what type of kitchen cabinets people are installing in there rental units and where do you find the best place is to buy them.

Also has anyone had experience having cabinets re-faced?

TerryKruse

Registered
I had a company come in to reface the cupboards in a duplex rental property and they look brand new for a fraction of the price.

They ordered new fronts and sprayed them with a melamine paint in one unit and sprayed the existing cupboards in the other unit as they were in better shape. I then had the countertop and sink replaced in one unit and left the counter in the other.

This saves you a lot of construction costs if the original kitchen is okay but just in need of updating. They looked new and because they were sprayed there were no brush marks. They took the doors to their shop and I also had them paint inside the old ones.

I am in Calgary but I am sure there are people in Edmonton who do this.

I have also ordered and replaced my personal house cupboard fronts with a solid wood fronts in a design of my choice. These ones I stained. The company I used was http://www.multiwood.com. They ship everywhere and they will build according to your measurements.

Our former melamine cupboards now look high end.

So yes. I would recommend this.

Cheers, Terry Kruse

PaulPoulsen

Registered
It pains me to say this because I hate the store but Ikea offers a very good product at a reasonable cost.

The last time we put cabinets in a property it was 3-ish years ago so my memory may be foggy but it seams to me that the price was in the $125 a linear foot range for basic glossy white cabinets with no hardware. Installation was an additional cost but we did it ourselves so I can`t even give you a ballpark number.

VicChung

REIN Member
QUOTE (PaulPoulsen @ Mar 24 2009, 04:21 PM)
It pains me to say this because I hate the store but Ikea offers a very good product at a reasonable cost.

The last time we put cabinets in a property it was 3-ish years ago so my memory may be foggy but it seams to me that the price was in the $125 a linear foot range for basic glossy white cabinets with no hardware. Installation was an additional cost but we did it ourselves so I can't even give you a ballpark number.

We used Ikea as well for our 4-plex. They had competitive prices and their consultants worked out well for us. The younger crowd seems to like their design

TIMWEMBLEY

Registered
I have also used Ikea their price was untouchable and the quailty is good. Just the plain white ones I have used in 2 different houses. The nice thing is if you need some asap they stock alot as most the time you have to wait weeks for cabinets.

NorthernAlex

Registered
I am going with IKEA and always wait until they have the 1000$/100$-deal. Which means: Per 1000$ spend, you get a 100$ gift card back.

Price is compared to HomeDepot MUCH less and most important nearly 100% sure available for immediate take out. Our home kitchen was at homeless depot round about 8,500$ without countertop and without appl. IKEA incl. slow closing drawers and high gloss 5,200$+700% for the contractor.

terri

Registered
I use Ikea in all my kitchens,

love them, easy to assemble, install and the price is great.
I use the modern styles with the plain flat fronts.
Abstact high gloss white for my high end apts, nexus for the mid range and applad white for the basement and econimical apts.
I don`t use the really cheap doors because they don`t look very durable.

I also use the ikea doors for my bath cabinets. I like to match the kitchens and baths. In smaller spaces I think it`s nice to tie everything together and have a uniform look throughout the space. I buy ikea doors and have my builder assemble a plain white melmine cabinet, ends up being much cheaper than buying a cabinet and looks totally custom, my tenants love it. My bathrooms tend to be very, very, small, so to maximize storage, I build a shallow cabinet over the toilet, 18x39x5 deep, hold tons of stuff, and I make the vanity cabinet wall hung, sitting about 10" off the ground. Wall hung with space underneath gives the illlusion of a bigger room and allows for storage of things like bathroom scale, extra baskets. check out my the photo gallery on my website to see what I`m talking about, http://www.queenwestrentals.com/

Terri

RogerPanchuk

Registered
QUOTE (KevinMatwichuk @ Mar 24 2009, 02:43 PM)
Just wondering what type of kitchen cabinets people are installing in there rental units and where do you find the best place is to buy them.

Also has anyone had experience having cabinets re-faced?

Multi-wood is great for getting new doors and re-facing your old cabinets. For new cabinets we go to Totem and buy euro-rite cabinets. We have tried homedepot and Ikea. Ikea has nice cabinets but what a pain to deal with, if you have lots of time to spend you might save a bit of money. We have done direct comparison between homedepot and totem. Totem was a bit cheeper and we feel a better quality cabimet. Average kitchen cost for our 4-plex units and basement suits is $2000- $2200 plus install an tops

RobMacdonald

Registered
I`m with the majority here, we used Ikea in our renovations this summer. Tenants loved the quality and the price was very reasonable.

AlisonKeighan

Registered
Terri,
I checked out your photo gallery and am totally impressed. I think I`ll use your suggestions on my next reno!

Alison

I

IanSzabo

Ikea cabnets are great but we have switched to Lowes cabnets. They are pre assembled thank God.
Very easy to install. A level, square & some screws. Check them out

mar

Registered
QUOTE (alikeighan @ Mar 25 2009, 01:03 PM)
Terri,

I checked out your photo gallery and am totally impressed. I think I'll use your suggestions on my next reno!

Alison

Agreed, nice website and nice units!

terri

Registered
QUOTE (mar @ Apr 4 2009, 12:45 AM)
Agreed, nice website and nice units!

thanks Alison and Mar,

There's still some work that needs to be done on the website and I'm hoping to get some more pics up on my photo gallery as soon as my website builder (A.K.A. boyfriend) gets back from his 2 month climbing trip in europe, lucky guy.

I want to be able to add photos to the "what's new" section so that I can document my renovation process or perhaps just create a blog for it. The renovations are the part of this that I love the most, it's what really drives me.

thanks for your comments and support!

Terri

Top Bottom