Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Calgary Floods - Important Information for REIN Members and the Public

REINteam

Registered
As a company with deep roots in Calgary and Alberta on whole, we are extremely compassionate to all those affected by the flooding happening right now in the region and we're here to do everything we can to help those people that may be in need.

The Real Estate Investment Network is committed to the well being of all REIN Members and members of the public who are connected to us in any way, and we'd like to take this chance to start a community thread here for people who are in need of information on their insurance providers regarding flood damage, those needing instructions on where they may be able to find shelter or help, and people who may have been spared by the flood waters and have a couch to share or a dry place for people to spend a few hours or longer until the waters subside.

For REIN Members and any investors who know that their properties have been affected by the flooding, we urge you to contact your tenants and make sure they are ok and have a place to stay. Many of them are from out of town and may not have many friends or family in the area to lean on - this is your time to show humanity and good will as an outstanding landlord.

We will be updating this thread throughout the day and over the weekend with information on insurance you may hold with us (if you are a REIN Member), emergency info and as well, we'd like people to make this thread a hub for anyone who needs a place to go or those who have a place or resources that they are able to share with those people that are affected.

As with any disaster situation, there is also a great opportunity to rise above and respond positvely to adversity - this event is a true test of everyone's resilience. Just this morning, Dr. Paul G. Stoltz checked in with Russell Westcott by phone to share his message for resilience in times of disaster and great adversity. Take a few minutes to listen to Dr. Stoltz below:

Important REIN Member Information:

The Monday, June 24th REIN Meeting in Calgary has been postponed due to the flooding in the region and will be rescheduled for a date to be named in July. Stay tuned to your email for information in the near future.

Marnie Griffiths

REIN Member
Thank you to the REIN Group for this post. Ryan & I have a dry home in NE Calgary with a couple of extra bedrooms if needed for storage or somewhere to stay. Please message me via Don's Facebook post or this website if you need any help.

REINteam

Registered
REIN Members' Insurance

At the REIN office, we've got your back.

Directly from Chris Westrop from Park Insurance, the good news is, flood is covered in the policy from Park Insurance.

Here are your actions steps:

1) The number one priority is to ensure you and all people living in your properties (your tenants) are safe.

2) Depending on the severity of the damage and flooding, make sure your properties are as safe and secure as possible.

3) Common sense needs to prevail; for example, if your property has a sewer back-up, please stay away.

4) Call either Aviva (1-866-692-8482) or Park Insurance (1-800-663-3739) and file a claim report.

5) Have your tenants contact their tenant insurance providers to arrange filing a claim and to potentially arrange emergency accomodations.

6) Be patient - understand that due to the magnitude of this disaster, this could be a slow process. All insurance companies are mobilizing emergency services to have 'boots on the ground' and will be attempting to provice you the best serve they can to help with your insurance requests.

jwilbrin

Registered
Thoughts and prayers going out to everyone affected by the Alberta June
floods especially all the part-time real estate investors who will fall
through the Alberta disaster relief cracks (or should I say canyon).

For those of you who are not aware, these types of surface water floods
(from rivers overflowing, streets flooding etc) are not covered by flood
insurance.

The Alberta Disaster Relief fund only covers principal residence for
property owners, relief for renters and relief for businesses. Any real
estate investor who does not have at least 50% of their income coming
from their properties is not considered a business and therefore is not
eligible for any sort of relief assistance. All losses will have to be
covered by the property owner.

Keep these investors in your thoughts and prayers.

Part time farmers also faced the same problem but the government made
changes to include part time farmers in the disaster relief program
however, I am not aware of any changes for real estate investors whose
portfolio is not their main source of income.

reinvestors88

Registered
[quote user=jwilbrin] Thoughts and prayers going out to everyone affected by the Alberta June
floods especially all the part-time real estate investors who will fall
through the Alberta disaster relief cracks (or should I say canyon).

For those of you who are not aware, these types of surface water floods
(from rivers overflowing, streets flooding etc) are not covered by flood
insurance.

The Alberta Disaster Relief fund only covers principal residence for
property owners, relief for renters and relief for businesses. Any real
estate investor who does not have at least 50% of their income coming
from their properties is not considered a business and therefore is not
eligible for any sort of relief assistance. All losses will have to be
covered by the property owner.

Keep these investors in your thoughts and prayers.

Part time farmers also faced the same problem but the government made
changes to include part time farmers in the disaster relief program
however, I am not aware of any changes for real estate investors whose
portfolio is not their main source of income.

Sad to watch news about floods in Alberta...prayers for safety of its
people and all real estate investors affected by the calamity...from a
positive point of view...there's always a good side of a sad story...

R

RussellWestcott

REIN members, we just received an email note from Chris Westrop of Park
Insurance, explaining the proceedure for your claims and the service
being provided to REIN members who are insured through the their
insurance program.

Here is a post in the members only section for REIN members, using the insurance program >> click here

sbh

REIN Member
Hello REIN members,

We have a spare room in the SW and some room in our garage for storage. We can also accommodate a vehicle or two at one of our properties in Forest Lawn.

I am available next week with my truck and tools if anyone needs help with flood clean up in Calgary. Please call or e-email me.

Sean Hayes

[email protected]

cell:(403) 880-4328

Sandy Fransham

Registered
Hi all Calgarians...

1. We have a home in the city's SW off 17th AVE SW on the west side of
town. If you need a dry place to stay we can accomodate upto 5 people
comfortably in beds and more little ones on matresses if needed.

2. We have a few garages (including a triple) that are empty at the
moment if storage is needed by anyone. Contact me at the office at
403.455.3639 or email [email protected]

3. Tenant Insurance Policy: Next week would be a great time to look at your policies around tenant's insurance. Here is ours:

• Our tenant's do not receive keys unless we first have proof of insurance.
  • We give them information on what this insurance covers including
    their personal possessions, identity fraud, liability, and
    accommodations in the event their home is not inhabitable. (handy this
    weekend!)
  • Since we make it mandatory, we also want to make it easy! We have set up a great program with a local insurance company.
  • The company has put together a great comprehensive and
    affordable package for our tenants. They love dealing with us since we
    screen the bejesus out of our tenants and we are organized.
    We supply the insurance company directly with all the tenants
    contact info, move in date, address etc--of course the tenants know we
    will do this before hand.
    We have provided a database of our properties to the insurance
    company so that when a tenant calls them they only have to give their
    address. No questions that the tenant can't answer like "when was the
    roof last updated..." etc...
    The insurance company then sends us proof of insurance directly once a policy is taken out.
    We have it written into our lease that the insurance company has
    permission to give us information about coverage meaning that if a
    tenant cancels their insurance, then we know about it!!
Tenant insurance protects you as the owner as well as the tenants are
covered for liability for injury or damage to your property!! I have
developed a very valuable relationship with the owner of the company
that we deal with and am willing to share that with others. Contact me
and I will help you get this policy set up with your tenants and this
insurance company! Protect yourself and your tenants!

MichelSelim

REIN Member
HAVE SPACE If anyone affected by the #yycflood needs a place to stay we have room. Families, individuals, and pets are welcome. Coffee, laundry, and WiFi
We are in #ForestLawn #yychelps

My number is below. Call any time 24/7

eatarini

Betty Anne Tarini, Realtor, Baxter and Associates
Registered
We have a spare couple of bedrooms in the Harvest Hills area. High and dry!

kkuligin

Registered
We are in Shawnessy! If you need help let me know.

My cell 587-707-5546 - call me anytime.

Also my friend need house for a short term (2-6 month). They are in hotel right now, so they are safe, but they lost their home.

I need your help ` if you have or you know somebody who has vacant property in inner city of Calgary (minimum 2 bed room, furnished/unfurnished - ideally 2 car garage. For short term ` 2 month and longer. They don`t have pets).

Thanks

C Westrop

REIN Member

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

georgia; color: #a1000a; font-size: 24px;">We Want to Help You with Your Insurance Claims

To all of you who are affected by the flooding throughout Alberta, our thoughts are with you. We are keen to do whatever we can to help and support you.

You will be happy to know that under the REIN Ultimate Insurance Program with Park Insurance you do have flood coverage. If your property has been affected by the flooding and you need to report a claim, you have several options. You can:

• Call Aviva Canada Claims Customer Care at 1-866-692-8482
  • Call Park Insurance at 1-866-663-3739
    Email us at [email protected]

Due to the nature and severity of this situation, insurance companies will be very busy and delays are to be expected. Aviva's goal is to contact their customers with 24 hours.

Please note that typically before any emergency repairs can be done water levels need to subside. A drying out period must also occur before reconstruction can begin to return properties to their pre-water damage state.

Nonetheless, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about filing a claim, its processing, or would like a status report.

Here are some additional helpful resources:

Emergency Updates and Shelter Locations

PicExportError
http://emergencyalert.alberta.ca/

School Closings`Calgary

PicExportError
n>http://www.cbe.ab.ca/default.asp

PicExportError
http://www.cssd.ab.ca/

Public Transit Detours`Calgary

PicExportError
http://www.calgarytransit.com/

Road Closures

PicExportError
http://www.calgarycitynews.com/

PicExportError
http://511.alberta.ca/ab/en.html

Again, our thoughts are with you and we look forward to assisting you through this disaster.

Bryan-Fitzpatrick2.jpg

Bryan Fitzpatrick

& our REIN Insurance Team

Contact Park Insurance

sans-serif; color: #957100; font-size: 11pt;">REIN Department

Address

201-4580 Hastings Street

Burnaby, BC V5C 2K4

[email protected]

park-logo-stacked.jpg

: 10pt;">

spacer.gif

footer2.jpg

RuthYesmaniski

Registered
I have a home just off Stoney Trail and Country Hills Blvd. N.E., I have a couple of spare bedrooms, a motorhome, and a hideabed that are available if anyone is in need of a place to stay.

Please call at 403-862-6345

Ruth Yesmaniski

thejules

REIN Member
We cannot imagine the turmoil you must be going through out there in Calgary. But I know one thing for sure, REIN Members are resilient & have the fortitude to overcome tremendous obstacles to achieve success. This is the kind of resilience that will carry each of you through this incredible time of change. We wish you much perserverance & determination to get through this. We all know REIN members get things done, and make a positive impact on those around them at the same time. Make the best out of this tough situation!

neill

Airdrie, AB
REIN Member
Hi all. We have storage space available in Airdrie if it helps. Vehicles, RV/boat, 50-60% of a double-car garage. We can provide temp shelter for anyone looking for a place to stay in our personal residence.

Currently have no actual vacancies :(

If we get notice from a tenant, I will also update. We would be willing to take on a flood-created tenancy on a short term (we typically only do one-year leases) to help out.

kkuligin

Registered
Thanks everyone who provide help for those who needs it.

Quick update - We are found a short term place for my friends and their family.

Also I need to know who has a construction business or know somebody who is doing renovations. As I think this sort of business will be essential when water level decreases.

Could you post names and contact information contractors which you have.

Thanks

R

RussellWestcott

Wow! What a wonderful response from the community. Actions like these make me proud to be part of this incredible community.

Quick update for REIN members insured by the REIN Insurance program from Park Insurance.

There has been some conflicting stories about if "overland flooding is covered in Canada".

It is correct that there is no insurance coverage available for flood to homeowners. The good news is that the policies for REIN members through Park Insurance are commercial insurance policies and all of our policies include Flood coverage.

Park Insurance will be at the REIN meetings in Edmonton (June 25) and BC (June 27) this week to help answer any of your specific insurance questions

R

RussellWestcott

Its the week after the great flood in Southern Alberta, the flood waters are now starting to recede. Now the daunting task of the clean-up begins. I just recorded a short and powerful message with Richard Dolan, where we discussed the next steps in the process of dealing with this event in your life. Take a listen below

If you would like to download the audio >> click here

Top Bottom