Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Calgary Property Management. Who Sucks and Who Rocks?

GSI

REIN Member
On our REIN MYSPACE forum we talk a lot about which residential property managers are good and bad, as well as ways to improve self-managing.

Initially I created a Poll to rate PMs in Edmonton. I received a ton of feedback and requests to start Polls for each city. Unfortunatly I only focus in Edmonton so I can`t give first hand advice for other areas. But, with that caveat (and many requests) I have started this one for Calgary.

I thought that it would be helpful to make a list of Calgary property managers (you could do a similar post for your city too) and rate them.

The key is to add both your positive and negative feedback. Some property managers should just plain be avoided- don`t be shy to write that. Others deserve more recognition for doing a great job- add that too.

I wanted to add a space for comments under the direct polls, but wasn`t able too. Therefore, please just add your comments under the company names below. If I missed some major property managers, please add them.

1) Amhurst Property Management Ltd.

2) Power Properties

3) Emerald Management & Realty

4) Equity Capital Management & Realty

5) RealtyEdge Group

6) Assurance Property Management Inc.

7) Mastre Property Management

8) Simco Management

9) Gill Management Associates Ltd.

10) York West Asset Management

11) Diversified Management Southern

12) Green Street Property Management

13) Drummer Realty and Property Management

14) MCM Property Management

15) DCCi

16) Hope Street Realty Corp.

Someone I forgot? Please add them below:

GSI

REIN Member
As of May 1st Libertas Property Management is operating in Calgary.

Add your comments here:

TylerUzelman

REIN Member
IMPORTANT UPDATEAs of May 1st Libertas Property Management Inc. is managing property in Edmonton and Calgary.

This means that owners with property in both cities can now have everything under one management company for consolidated statements and consistent management practices.

We also now offer online owner and tenant portal access, which means owners and tenants can log in 24/7 to review their accounts, submit or review maintenance request orders and much more.

For more information please contact our Calgary team
at 403.452.4663
or email at [email protected]

DaveRhydderch

Registered
I have clients who have used Assurance, and they get good reviews. In fact, I recommended them because of people in REIN.

L

lanedry77

I just recently handed off my eight suites and two garages to Libertas here in Calgary, and have been very happy with the transition and their work so far.

David.

ChrisJones

Registered
Stay away from Hope Street. They didn`t do inspections, credit checks, or background checks. Most tenants were heavy smokers with pets. (Which we clearly stated we didn`t want).They even let tenants move in without paying a security deposit and first months rent! When a crappy tenant moved in they didn`t do much to try and get them out. It was basically our problem and we were left paying them even more to clean up the mess they caused. Their maintenance man was horrible and we`ve spent a year fixing the things he tried to fix himself.

Bottom line, if Hope Street is your only choice, just manage them yourself....or sell your properties.

C

eyyub

Registered
Please avoid by any means York West Asset Management! They managed our condo for many years! it was a disaster! can you imagine, the maintenance guy that they send goes to basement, and waits an hour, without doing anything and then leaves!!..our condo board members had to keep eye on maintenance people all the time, go with them to the basement (or any other repair) just to make sure they done the work! it kept happening over and over! everyone who worked for the company had a great attitude towards us - the costumers!
They also did horrible job in terms of collecting condo fees! nothing on time! everything very disorganized! our condo fee kept raising because of them! we eventually quit them and moved on to different company (diversified). they are great! very responsive and professional!

i am surprised unprofessionals like that are still in business!

for your own good and money avoid York West Asset Management!!!

QUOTE (GSI @ May 10 2009, 07:16 PM) On our REIN MYSPACE forum we talk a lot about which residential property managers are good and bad, as well as ways to improve self-managing.

Initially I created a Poll to rate PMs in Edmonton. I received a ton of feedback and requests to start Polls for each city. Unfortunatly I only focus in Edmonton so I can`t give first hand advice for other areas. But, with that caveat (and many requests) I have started this one for Calgary.

I thought that it would be helpful to make a list of Calgary property managers (you could do a similar post for your city too) and rate them.

The key is to add both your positive and negative feedback. Some property managers should just plain be avoided- don`t be shy to write that. Others deserve more recognition for doing a great job- add that too.

I wanted to add a space for comments under the direct polls, but wasn`t able too. Therefore, please just add your comments under the company names below. If I missed some major property managers, please add them.

1) Amhurst Property Management Ltd.

2) Power Properties

3) Emerald Management & Realty

4) Equity Capital Management & Realty

5) RealtyEdge Group

6) Assurance Property Management Inc.

7) Mastre Property Management

8) Simco Management

9) Gill Management Associates Ltd.

10) York West Asset Management

11) Diversified Management Southern

12) Green Street Property Management

13) Drummer Realty and Property Management

14) MCM Property Management

15) DCCi

16) Hope Street Realty Corp.

Someone I forgot? Please add them below:

ehazell

Registered
I have used Emerald Property Management for Calgary and Strathmore since 1988 and have been very pleased.

Avoidconfusion

Registered
let`s keep this survey going we only have 5 votes on the poll. I am sure there must be more.

Kevin Redmond

Sapphire

Registered
Emerald: horrible. If you think they're doing a good job for you, I suggest you do your own inspection of your property and talk to your tenants. I did when I started to wonder what was going on, and found I had been charged thousands for work that had not been done, and that my understanding of what they were doing was not at all based on reality!

The list of things they screwed up or neglected to do was stunning, especially given what they were charging me each month. Just because you get charged for a new stove doesn't meant your tenant actually has a stove delivered to his apartment, for instance. Long list of such matters suggesting not just a "things happen" incident but systemic incompetence, perhaps deceit. I am still puzzling over some of the stuff that came to light.

When you get your property back, don't expect to receive move-in inspections, as they don't necessarily bother to do those, tenant screening documentation (same), records regarding work done, keys for any of the locks no matter how well labeled and organized the ones you handed over were, etc. Expect an expensive pile of chaos and missing documentation, hoarders and other scary tenants, and to pay again for all the work you thought had been done on your property. That's what happened with my property, anyway.

Top Bottom