Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Canada`s Premiers tell Federal Party Leaders to `Stop the Nonsense`

GarthChapman

Registered
KATHERINE O`NEILL
Globe and Mail Update
December 1, 2008 at 5:49 PM EST

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/politics/home

EDMONTON — Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach is urging federal opposition politicians to “re-think” their plan to form a coalition government.

“Put Canada first and stop the nonsense,” the provincial Progressive Conservative leader told reporters in Edmonton Monday. “This is a time where we need sane, prudent leadership dealing with the bigger elephant in the room which is the global economic crisis. It`s a real concern to all Albertans.”

He said he expects that “cooler heads will prevail” and that coalition talks will die by next week.

“I think it`s just imperative that we move ahead with good, strong economic policies. Give us some predictability and some certainty in policies so that we can attract the investment that`s necessary.”

However, he said his right-wing government already has a strategy in place to deal with a possible Liberal-NDP coalition in Ottawa. “But I`m not going to play the cards until such time and until we know who are dealing with and what the issues are.”

During the last federal election campaign, Mr. Stelmach voiced strong opposition to Liberal and NDP environmental policy proposals. He is concerned their plans would negatively affect Alberta`s energy sector and raise production costs.

In Saskatchewan, meanwhile, Premier Brad Wall said it`s time for political leaders in Ottawa to get their heads “out of their kilts” and work together to help the country.

Mr. Wall said he`s dismayed by the actions of Stephen Harper`s minority Conservative government and by the opposition parties` threats to topple the government and form a coalition.

“I`m disappointed in all of the federal leaders at this point,” Mr. Wall said. “We didn`t have to be here. If the economic statement wouldn`t have also had a lot of gamesmanship involved, if it would have been about leadership, we wouldn`t be here.”

Mr. Wall said there was hope after last month`s federal election that Parliament might succeed. But he said “somewhere along the line, political interests began to overtake the interests of Canada.”

While a new poll suggested the vast majority of Quebeckers would prefer a coalition government to another federal election, Premier Jean Charest was treading carefully Monday.

The premier, campaigning during his own provincial election, declined to comment on the political crisis in Ottawa, other than to say that Canada needs a stable government now.

“Political instability and economic instability make for a bad mix and the proof is what is happening in Ottawa,” Mr. Charest said during an election stop. “When it`s both of them at once, not only is it not ideal, it doesn`t go in the direction of what we should be doing about the economy.”

Manitoba Premier Gary Doer echoed Charest`s comments. He said his primary wish is that all four federal parties can find a way to work together. The longest-serving current premier in Canada and the only New Democrat, Mr. Doer declined to take a public stand on the opposition coalition.

“Whoever is eventually in government, however they get there, I`m going to have to work with them,” he said. “What I feel and what I like is irrelevant. I have to work with whoever is sworn in as prime minister.”

Mr. Doer said he spoke with federal NDP Leader Jack Layton on the weekend, but the Premier wouldn`t reveal what was said.

Ontario Premier Dalton was expected to wait until Tuesday to comment on the political turmoil in Ottawa.

Top Bottom