Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Canadian in US wanting to buy a 4 plex

rubenr

Registered
My husband and I are Canadian, we just moved to the US and want to buy a 4 plex.

What REIN home studies or books would be beneficial to us even though we`re planning on investing in the US?

We need to learn about:
picking the right neighborhood,
the right tenants,
how to interview property managers, etc..

thanks

Rose

GaryMcGowan

Registered
There are many things to consider when buying/investing in the US. A good resource to start with is a book that Phillip McKernan wrote.
It is a story about a Canadian couple wanting to buy in the US and all the due diligence and surprises they encounter.
South Of 49

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
The best book for multi-family investing in the US is by David Lindahl .. one is called "emerging markets" ..

JonathanH

Registered
QUOTE (safsad @ Nov 4 2010, 07:06 AM) What organization in the US is equivalent to REIN in Canada.

I wish we knew one. I asked about a year ago on here but unfortunately did not get any replies.

QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Nov 4 2010, 09:29 AM) The best book for multi-family investing in the US is by David Lindahl .. one is called "emerging markets" ..

Thanks Thomas. I will look into this book.

What about these REIN homestudy cds & books, would any of these point us in the right direction or are they so specific to Canada that they would not help.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (JonathanH @ Nov 4 2010, 12:18 PM) ..

What about these REIN homestudy cds & books, would any of these point us in the right direction or are they so specific to Canada that they would not help.
Buy the multi-family binder + CDs offered by REIN .. about $500 .. very applicable to the US too .. but of course the legal and mortgage market is VERY different in the US .. but the principles are universal !

R

RussellWestcott

Might be more benefited by going through the ACRE™ homestudy program.

The section on how to analyze a region based upon the economic fundamentals can be applied anywhere that there are houses.

This part of the program walks you through the 12 economic indicators, how to use them to find the regions that will be the strongest performers.

As well, the positive cash flow ladder would be very beneficial, each of the steps in the ladder would be directly applicable to buying in the US... come to think of it the only section that would not be directly beneficial would be the financing and mortgage section (however the part of how to present your deal to the bank is golden and very helpful).

If you would like more information, or to place your order, call the REIN™ office at 1-888-824-7346

rubenr

Registered
Thanks for the replies.

It seems like the Acre home study guide might be beneficial to me.

Does it have a section on how to hire a property manager?

Top Bottom