Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cannabis and medicial use... need your help.

Londonworks

New Forum Member
Registered
Hey folks. I would appreciate some basic guidance, or if any of you can refer a professional to assist in this matter. I own a rental condo in Vaughan (ON) and hired a property management company last year to place tenants and manage the property on my behalf. I currently live outside Canada, so I needed a turnkey solution.
They found a tenant and he moved in last November.. sometime in Feb this year the condo admin contacted me with complaints form other residents that my tenant was smoking cannabis. The building in smoke free and has by-laws in effect preventing the consumption of cannabis, The lease agreement also clearly states he cannot consume cannabis. The condo admin eventually contacted the tenant, who refuted all allegations and insisted it was not him. Now (May) the condo has again approached me as the tenant continues to consume cannabis and they want to take legal action. The tenant has fought back the accusations and now says he consumes cannabis for medicinal purposes and it exempt from the by-laws, as he does not "smoke" (he refers to the consumption as "combustion" and says he does it only outside, on the unit's terrace) and is accusing the condo corporation of trying to enforce the rules to him only, while others (and I cannot independently confirmed if this is true) consume cannabis in the building.

I have been in touch with the property management company, which has a legal department, and also the condo corporation. The condo is simply telling me they will consult a corporate lawyer and pass on the legal bill to me.

What should I do now?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
PM needs to send an eviction notice.

Tenant can fight it by proving a medical prescription. I doubt that smoking is required by a doctor but it is possible (you can also take Canabis in pill form or as a drink).

Tenant can be evicted for it under the current lease. PM needs to enforce it. They might just be lazy or unwilling to push the envelope.

astikadist

New Forum Member
Registered
It sounds like a complex situation that requires legal advice. You've already taken the right step by contacting the property management company and the condo corporation. Since the tenant is claiming to use cannabis for medicinal purposes, it may be worth exploring the legal requirements and limitations for medical cannabis use in your area. Additionally, you may want to consult with a lawyer experienced in landlord-tenant law to understand your rights and responsibilities as a landlord, and the potential legal consequences of the situation. Ultimately, it's important to gather as much information as possible before making any decisions or taking any actions.

realtorsezfv

New Forum Member
Registered
I'm new here and I just want to chime in and say sorry to hear about the situation with your rental condo in Vaughan. I can understand how this could be a difficult and frustrating situation to deal with from afar. It's great that you're already in touch with your property management company and the condo corporation, but it might also be worth consulting with a lawyer who specializes in cannabis laws to get some expert advice. The rules around cannabis consumption can be complex and vary depending on location and circumstances. You can also check out https://www.mindbodygreen.com/artic...his-200-year-old-heirloom-best-cbd-for-relief for more related info.

Last edited:
Top Bottom