Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Capital gains on primary residence turned rental

RogerBoucher

Registered
This is the situation: My personal residence is in a perfect rental area in the town of Bonnyville. It is a bi-level suited home that would have good cash flow and I am planning on taking over my father`s acreage but will not be selling my current residence. My question is how do capital gains apply on athe eventual sale of personal residence now that it will be a rental. Are capital gains only applied on the appreciation after it became a rental?. Can someone please shine some light on this topic. thank you

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (RogerBoucher @ Mar 25 2010, 10:53 PM) .. Are capital gains only applied on the appreciation after it became a rental?. ..
yes .. thus: get a recent (high) appraisal !

Albertritchot

REIN Member

schoobie

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Mar 26 2010, 08:38 AM) yes .. thus: get a recent (high) appraisal !

I am looking for an appraiser to perform his analisys on my condo where I lived for the past 3 years in Calgary. Now this unit is on the market for rent, any ideas who would be able to perform a high appraisal?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (schoobie @ Jun 30 2010, 09:45 PM) I am looking for an appraiser to perform his analisys on my condo where I lived for the past 3 years in Calgary. Now this unit is on the market for rent, any ideas who would be able to perform a high appraisal?
appraisals have a small range .. +/- 2-5% .. get any appraiser .. and if you think it is too low get a 2nd or 3rd one ..

Top Bottom