Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Carpet or laminate?

FlynBuy

Registered
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on choosing the best flooring material. The carpets that came with my rental house have finally worn out. I can get a low pile carpet for a good price but wondering if it worth spending extra for a mid grade laminate or even tile.
Some people tell me it is worth the extra cost for laminate, others say laminate is subject to the same risk of water damage from spills as well as dents, scratches and burns.
Does anyone have experience with one or the other?
All opinions are welcome.

Thanks

markl

Registered
We find we get more rent with laminate.

You can get a little higher grade laminate now instead of the cheapest quality for about $2/sq ft this is the thinner strip laminate with the groove between the pieces.

We find it more durable and more attractive for the tenants.

Regards,

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Laminate is more noisy for folks downstairs. If this is not an issue, go laminate as it costs about the same as carpet. With thicker underlay laminate costs more. Also consider vinyl which looks like laminate. Really. Ok for kitchens or downstairs rumpus rooms.

Emil1753

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
If it's for a long term buy and hold, 100% go with tile.

The small amount extra you spend upfront will save you hundreds, even thousands of dollars over the years. Do it right the first time.

If it's a quick flip or a lower end rental go with a decent 12mm or higher laminate with a good locking system.

DO NOT buy $0.69cent laminate from Home Depot unless you want to be replacing it every year.

Emil

twitter: @realemil

DnD

Registered
We've had this flooring debate around the office many times. We seem to have settled on vinyl flooring. If you shop around, you can find it for a good price and it's highly durable. Looks good too but definitely think about the noise transfer issue. You may want to go with a good quality underlayment.

FourBell

Registered
I agree with the tile comment above. For the properties that we purchase in nice areas that we know we are going to be holding for a long time, we use tile in the kitchen and bathrooms (porcelain as it is much harder than ceramic). It is durable, easy to replace if a tile breaks (assuming you are handy, or have a decent handyman) and is usually seen as a premium flooring by tenants.

The last house we rehabbed, we used tile and laminate throughout, and the current tenants there couldn't be happier. It is durable, and it allowed them to add their own touch of style by using area rugs.

Jason Bell

Four Bell Properties

204-995-9665

[email protected]

NorthernAlex

Registered
Usually I get the bathroom tiled.

For most other rooms I try to use Allure Vinyl Planks. They are a bit pricy, but VERY durable and look great. I usually go with Allure Chocolate. Looks very nice. They have, if I remember correctly, a 25 year warranty.

kir

Registered
Who has ever returned flooring products (laminates or vinyl) via the warranty?

How does it work anyhow? YOu get one piece of laminate if one has deteriorated (1 for 1).

Just curious.

Kir.

Mike Milovick

Registered
This is what I have started to use in my places as well.

Excellent product. Low maintenance/easy maintenance, sections can be removed/replaced if damged.

Ultimate tenant flooring.

Top Bottom