Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Carpet stain removal

VicChung

REIN Member
Hello All,

Does anyone know how to remove discoloration in carpets from cleaning? I would rather not spend thousands this year to replace the carpet, but would like a cheap alternative way.

Thanks,

Vic

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (VicChung @ Feb 21 2009, 12:08 PM) Hello All,

Does anyone know how to remove discoloration in carpets from cleaning? I would rather not spend thousands this year to replace the carpet, but would like a cheap alternative way.

Thanks,

Vic

Have you considered buying a steam cleaner? Costco had one for a few hundred. Use it twice and it pays itself, and it`s a tax writeoff(depreaciated over a few years I think). It will pay itself off after 2-3 new tenants.

Has anyone used these successfully?

Real

thoyem

Registered
QUOTE (realfortin @ Feb 21 2009, 01:51 PM) Have you considered buying a steam cleaner? Costco had one for a few hundred. Use it twice and it pays itself, and it`s a tax writeoff(depreaciated over a few years I think). It will pay itself off after 2-3 new tenants.

Has anyone used these successfully?

Real

My day job I am a sales rep at Zep Chemical for 15 years. I also cleaned carpets for 7 years.
Often the discoloration is the cleaning chemical activating a substance in the stain that cannot normally be seen until cleaned resulting in a PH imbalanace.
Or it is an old stain bleeding back from the underlay when it became wet. Often you can treat the stains with a peroxide treatment that oxidizes the stain without harm to the fibres, often restoring the carpet to a decent look, unless it is something really nasty left over in the carpet. PM me if you want more specific info.

Best regards

Todd Hoyem

dplummer

Registered
Good rule of thumb. If the spot is darker then the carpet colour it means something has bee added to the carpet fibers & should be cleanable. If the spot is lighter then then carpet it usally means colour of the carpet fibers has been removed (colour loss) & is not cleanable. Depending on the size of spot & the type of carpet spot dye may work.

Doug

Top Bottom