Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cashing deposit cheque?

miral

Registered
It has been my experience when making an offer that the deposit cheque was held until sale was finalized with all conditions waived and if the sale didn`t go through then the deposit was given back to the buyer. Can the vendor (lawyer) cash the deposit cheque before conditions are waived? What if the sale doesn`t go through due to financing/inspection issue? I guess they would write out a cheque to the buyer to reimburse the deposit?

Thanks

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Yes they deposit the cheque into a trust, then a cheque is written to you if the deal doesn`t go through.

miral

Registered
Thanks!

I know in the past they just gave back the original without cashing it, guess depends on who is holding it.

GaryMcGowan

Registered
I would say 9 times out of 10 the cheque will get cashed.
This eliminates the tire kickers. When selling a property you want to deal with only serious buyers.

One technique people use is to place two deposits. One with the offer and the second one is provided when the conditions are removed.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (miral @ Sep 19 2010, 11:02 AM) .. Can the vendor (lawyer) cash the deposit cheque before conditions are waived?..
yes .. it is held IN TRUST for you by the realtor or seller`s lawyer as per purchase/sale contract !

Often there is a 2nd deposit, cashed when all conditions are met.

In the US I have seen deals where even the first deposit is kept even if conditions are not waived, a practice not yet common here in Canada.

safsad

Registered
[quote name=`GaryMcGowan` date=`Sep 19 2010, 03:49 PM` post=`93402`]
I would say 9 times out of 10 the cheque will get cashed.
This eliminates the tire kickers. When selling a property you want to deal with only serious buyers.

One technique people use is to place two deposits. One with the offer and the second one is provided when the conditions are removed.
[qoute]

As a buyer what minimum deposit is acceptable ( percentage or dollar amount).do u then split the first and second deposit equally.I know Don says he puts the second deposit in his lawyers trust account.The first deposit goes to the realtors trust account.

How much money is considered acceptable on a million dollar multiplex/commercial unit

CalvinPeters

Registered
QUOTE (GaryMcGowan @ Sep 19 2010, 03:49 PM) I would say 9 times out of 10 the cheque will get cashed.

[qoute]

As a buyer what minimum deposit is acceptable ( percentage or dollar amount).do u then split the first and second deposit equally.I know Don says he puts the second deposit in his lawyers trust account.The first deposit goes to the realtors trust account.

How much money is considered acceptable on a million dollar multiplex/commercial unit

what minimum deposit is acceptable, is whatever is acceptable to the seller. I would always try and get it for as low of an amount as possible...unless you have to have the property...in which case you want as much as possible. In my experience sellers are usually not shy in asking for bigger deposits...but why start there?

The deposit amounts are usually more in line with how you are negotiating the deal....your Realtor should have a good handle on how to do that for you to get in a position of strength. I generally try for a (personally) strong additional deposit and weak initial. Again, why tie up money unless you have to?

...as for your commercial unit, I would suggest that you put $50,000 down initial, and follow that up with $50,000 after conditions are waived. That should show intent. you could always try for 20,000/80,000 or whatever else you thought might work, but that should give you a place to start.

there is nothing written in stone, it is ALL part of the negotiation.

gwasser

Registered
You have to clearly understand how deposits work.

They are a `sign of good faith and commitment to the deal`.
When your write a PURCHASE OFFER` it is just that an offer. It is NOT a contract. To show you are serious, you attach a deposit cheque. Which is not to be cashed until the offer is accepted by both parties.

Once the purchase offer is accepted by both parties it becomes a PURCHASE CONTRACT often with conditions attached.
At this point the deposit cheque will be cashed and deposited in the trust account of the Seller`s Real Estate Brokerage. I had clients who want to put the deposit at the lawyer`s trust account or at their, the Buyer`s Real Estate Brokerage. Neither is considered acceptable by Alberta`s Realtors. I tried and the deal is likely rejected by the seller.

Trust accounts follow legal rules that protect the depositor. Any incorrect use of deposit money is a criminal offense that can land the offender in jail. So really in the end, it doesn`t matter where it is deposited and by convention, in Alberta, it is with the Seller`s Realtor`s brokerage.

Once the conditions of the PURCHASE CONTRACT are waived it becomes an UNCONDITIONAL CONTRACT. Often a 2nd deposit is made at this point which is called the `Additional Deposit`. Now there is no going back! If you waived as a buyer the financing conditions without having a signed mortgage commitment letter from your lender, you are on the hook for purchasing the property with or without a mortgage. So only waive when certain that your financing is in place. A mortgage-broker`s pre-qualification is not a mortgage commitment!!!!!

As to the amount of deposit. Realtors like the intial plus additional deposit to add up and equal the total commission. That way isf the purchase contract is breached THEY are covered. Their job is to get you a signed purchase offer on a property that you want to sell or buy. That is what their commission is for. They are NOT responsible for either party breaking the purchase contract.

If the buyer does not waive the conditions and thus terminates the accepted purchase contract, he/she will get the deposit refunded. Once the purchase contract is breached by the seller, then the seller is liable for damage incurred by the buyer plus refund of the deposit (the seller owes the commission to both Realtors). Damage can be a lot more than the deposit.

If a buyer breaches the unconditional contract, the buyer is out of his/her deposit which will first go towards the commissions of the Realtors (who did their jobs after all) and what remains goes to the seller. The buyer can be held liable for any damage that the seller has incurred due to the breach. This damage can be a lot more than the deposit amount. Just think of what would happen if the seller had scheduled the purchase of another property and moving to that new property?

As to how much the deposit should be? From the buyer`s perspective it should be as little as possible. From the seller`s it should be as much as possible. Typically, on a $200,000 condo, I put an initial deposit of $2000 and an additional of $3000. That is less than the Real Estate commissions, but that is the Realtor`s problem not the buyer`s.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Oct 26 2010, 11:27 AM) I had clients who want to put the deposit at the lawyer`s trust account or at their, the Buyer`s Real Estate Brokerage. Neither is considered acceptable by Alberta`s Realtors. I tried and the deal is likely rejected by the seller.

I have tried this as well (as recommended in Real Estate Investing in Canada by Don Campbell) and got a huge amount of pushback over it, to the point that I was going to lose a couple of really good deals. I elected to follow Alberta convention, and buy the properties, and no longer bother trying to buck the system.

Any reason this would matter to to either the buyer or the seller? My biggest rationale for wanting it in my Realtor`s trust account is that I know and trust her, but for the amounts involved other Realtor`s are ok as well. I`d ultimately prefer to have a lawyer`s trust account, simply since the "bar" to entrance is higher.

Seller`s in Alberta only reject this because their Realtor`s tell them to, but there isn`t much I can do about that.

Is there any reason that I`m missing that its worth really pushing to get this in a contract?

Michael

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Oct 26 2010, 12:42 PM) I have tried this as well (as recommended in Real Estate Investing in Canada by Don Campbell) and got a huge amount of pushback over it, to the point that I was going to lose a couple of really good deals. I elected to follow Alberta convention, and buy the properties, and no longer bother trying to buck the system.

Any reason this would matter to to either the buyer or the seller? My biggest rationale for wanting it in my Realtor`s trust account is that I know and trust her, but for the amounts involved other Realtor`s are ok as well. I`d ultimately prefer to have a lawyer`s trust account, simply since the "bar" to entrance is higher.

Seller`s in Alberta only reject this because their Realtor`s tell them to, but there isn`t much I can do about that.

Is there any reason that I`m missing that its worth really pushing to get this in a contract?

Michael

I was told that this was a rule applied by the Real Estate Boards. But I really don`t understand either what the fuss is about.

Top Bottom