Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cheer up: Canada`s in good shape

GarthChapman

Registered
KONRAD YAKABUSKI
Globe and Mail Update
January 9, 2009 at 8:13 PM EST

MONTREAL — The worst economic crisis of a lifetime? Maybe if you were born in 1992.

Job numbers out Friday – showing a jump in the national unemployment rate to 6.6 per cent – confirm that Canada has followed the United States into a recession. But the odds are that workers here will come through the downturn of 2009 with far fewer scrapes and bruises than they did during the two previous recessions. They`ll also – for a change – fare markedly better than their American counterparts.

The Canadian unemployment rate rocketed to 13 per cent in the 1981-82 recession and almost as high in the 1990-91 contraction. In both of those periods, Canada was an economic basket case compared with the United States, where unemployment rates peaked at 10.8 per cent in 1982 and 7.8 per cent in 1992.

So far, almost no economist expects Canada`s jobless rate will surpass 8 per cent during this downturn. Most, by far, predict it will peak below that figure. The U.S. unemployment rate, however, could enter double digits.

Even an 8-per-cent jobless rate would have been embraced as practically full employment in the Canada of the `70s or `80s. Yet, Friday`s news of 34,000 job losses in December, and a 0.3-percentage-point increase in the unemployment rate, had politicians in conniptions. It`s easy to feel pessimistic when president-elect Barack Obama speaks of “a crisis unlike any we have seen in our lifetime,” and the U.S. economist Nouriel (Dr. Doom) Roubini warns that the bubbles “have only begun to burst.” But they`re not talking about Canada. This country remains an island of relative tranquillity in a raging global economic sea. Our job market, in particular, faces this tempest with storm shutters firmly affixed.

One of the reasons has to do with demographics. The millions of Canadian baby boomers who reached adulthood in the `70s and `80s overwhelmed the labour market`s ability to absorb them. Employers didn`t have much of an incentive to hold on to workers during tough times, since they could draw on an overabundant supply of labour to replenish their work force when the economic tide turned.

Not now. The prospect of a looming post-recession labour shortage promises to factor into employers` staffing calculations this time around.

“The whole phenomenon of an aging population will act as a brake on layoffs,” predicts Desjardins Group senior economist Benoit Durocher. “Businesses will think twice before laying people off because it could be more difficult to find employees when the recovery comes.”

Claude Morin, an economic development officer in Quebec`s export-dependent Beauce region, agrees, adding that more than a decade of solid growth has left firms with strong balance sheets. Though many of the region`s clothing and furniture makers have closed in recent years, most of their workers have found jobs elsewhere in the Beauce.

“Our businesses are well capitalized, which allows them to play for time,” says Mr. Morin of the Conseil économique de Beauce. “Morale is good and no one tells me on my visits that things are bad or catastrophic.”

The relative strength of Canada`s job market also stems from having an older work force than the Americans. While youth has certain advantages, they`re not apparent during a recession. Layoffs will figure more prominently south of the border.

At the same time, Canada has largely succeeded in eliminating much of the structural unemployment that plagued the economy in the past. Though pockets of chronic joblessness still exist, they`re modest compared with the unemployment rates in excess of 20 per cent that used to be common in some regions.

This shows up in Canada`s employment rate – the percentage of those over 15 with jobs. It remains historically high, at 63.1 per cent in December, down 0.2 percentage points from November. In 1982, it was 57 per cent.

“There has been two decades of continued out-migration from places that were pools of structural unemployment,” observes Dalhousie University economics professor Lars Osberg. “And Internet job searches didn`t exist in [past recessions], so there`s a whole new way of matching vacancies with unemployed workers.”

Another measure of Canada`s relative economic health lies in the so-called misery index, the combined total of the unemployment and inflation rates. It hovered around an excruciating 25 per cent during the `80s recession and about 20 per cent a decade later. Today, it is well below 10 per cent and likely won`t surpass that threshold in this recession.

Monetary and fiscal stimulus are two reasons Royal Bank of Canada is predicting this recession will be shorter than the two previous ones. The bank expects Canada`s economy to start growing again in the second quarter of this year, following only two quarters of contraction. As a result, the bank predicts the unemployment rate will peak at 7.4 per cent.

Some economists have been warning of deflation, a phenomenon where expectations of falling prices cause consumers to put off purchases. But with unprecedented liquidity being pumped into the financial system by the Bank of Canada, and the federal government promising a spending package that will make it look like Christmas in January, the longer-term threat is that of upward pressure on prices.

“There are risks in terms of the timing of the [stimulus] initiatives,” warns Paul Ferley, assistant chief economist at Royal Bank of Canada. “If they leave them in place too long, it could very well sow the seeds for an inflation problem.”

U.S. economist James Grant, author of the influential Grant`s Interest Rate Observer, has also expressed this concern. Though with doomageddon in vogue, not many people are listening.

As Mr. Grant observed recently: “Frostbite victims tend not to dwell on the summertime perils of heatstroke.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ndrecovery/home

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
I think this article is overly optimistic.

If a company has financial or sales problems, it will shed workers, REGARDLESS if they can or cannot be replaced 2-3 year from now.

I just came back from a weekend in Flathead Valley, MT (Kalispell, Wihitefish) back through Kimberley, BC. This is eerilie similar to what I saw in Palm Springs, CA and Maui, HI in November and December 2008: WHAT A DEPRESSING ECONOMY: boarded up stores downtown, "for lease" signs galore, 30%/40%/60% off signs in stores, little customer traffic, closed restaurants, real estate on sale everywhere ..

Let`s not be so naive and assume we are immune here in Canada, as my non-scientific trip to Kimberley showed. It is just delayed here .. and perhaps not quite as deep as real estate did not go up quite as much as the US, but we have very similar problems here:
+ falling house prices, on the heels of 95% and 100% mortgages
+ Layoffs in the resource, oi&gas, construction, manufacturing, and soon: retail sector
+ very tight credit to corporations
+ credit card debt (again, perhaps not as deep as the US)
+ low resource prices with no indication of significant uptick

Any commentator that is stating "Canada is so much better than the US" has not visited the US recently and is unaware of the dependency.

As a sign of the times, for the first time I saw a small retail mall in foreclosure in Calgary, in the Calgary Herald ..

Prepare for a very chilly winter, ladies and gentlemen !

I expect our unemployment rate to go on average well over 10% for a while .. and while I thought a few weeks ago that late 2009 will be the turnaround, I think it will be at best 2010 .. thus, if you own real estate ensure your reserve fund is well stocked such that 2-3 months of vacancies and rents 20% lower can be absorbed for up to 2 years !

If you do a re-finance right now, and get offered some decent terms: take it. Variable, i.e. prime+ X based preferred as prime will go lower, but anything fixed at under 5% is OK too !

2009 is probably a good year to buy but be aware that "the bottom" may not be until late 2009 / early 2010 .. so no rush unless an outright steal .. and allow for sufficient rental income based on new realities not rents that were charged perhaps 6 months ago !

GarthChapman

Registered
I generally agree with you Thomas, but on this one I think we will end up about in the middle between this article and your post`s numbers.

We have a place in Palm Desert and spent much of December there. I can say that it was barely evident that the were big problems in the US economy down there - it is indeed a wealthy area to be sure but I was surprised at how busy things were. I just don`t see the Coachella Valley as indicative of what is happening in the USA. They are in big trouble. We are in far better shape - but as a trading nation whose major customer in the US we will feel this. I just don`t see Alberta havinunemployment beyond 7-8% at max.

Having said all that I think what happens to O & G prices this year will be the driver for our Alberta economy. If the bounce is big enough we`ll do much better than most seem to think is in store for us.

Glad I don`t try to make a living prognosticating the future - it`s a mug`s game these days...

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Jan 11 2009, 11:49 PM) I generally agree with you Thomas, but on this one I think we will end up about in the middle between this article and your post`s numbers.

We have a place in Palm Desert and spent much of December there. I can say that it was barely evident that the were big problems in the US economy down there - it is indeed a wealthy area to be sure but I was surprised at how busy things were. I just don`t see the Coachella Valley as indicative of what is happening in the USA. They are in big trouble. We are in far better shape - but as a trading nation whose major customer in the US we will feel this. I just don`t see Alberta have unemployment beyond 7-8% at max.

Having said all that I think what happens to O & G prices this year will be the driver for our Alberta economy. If the bounce is big enough we`ll do much better than most seem to think is in store for us.

Glad I don`t try to make a living prognosticating the future - it`s a mug`s game these days...Palm Desert seemed very quiet to me .. even the Lexus dealership had closed .. but then, it was November ..

indeed, AB will be a better spot than most .. unclear to me is though where the "big bounce" in oil & gas price increases is coming from .. more like a long climb up along a flat`ish line .. maybe $50/barrel .. maybe $60 a year from now .. maybe $45 ..

still OK for us here in AB but not so pretty .. the only bright lights were the many we saw when we drove back, from the Banff sunshine turnoff back Calgary .. a sea of cars .. perhaps AB is just blind or I am mistaken .. I hope the latter but assume the former ..

gwasser

Registered
I was in Maui around New Year. It was a lot less busy than during the spring break of 2008 when I was there as well. Especially between Xmas and New Years things were not busy and there were lots of vacancies. At year`s end things started to fill up. I did see falling real estate prices. In the Condo complex I stayed, units that listed a year and half ago for $550K now went for $400K (asking price). So that is a 20 to 25% fall bad but not as bad as I suspected.

Also, there were a few empty places but no boarding up. Overall business was down but I wouldn`t call it a depression. So much for the anecdotal stuff.

Whether oil or the stock market or the real estate market will go up or down over the short term, I have no idea. Long term, I think we have a buying opportunity now; but I would not spend all my cash at once. A little bit at a time and make sure you have enough to live from (you may get laid off if you`re not retired) for the next year or so.

That is ‘My pound of flesh’ (I gained weight and badly need losing some).

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jan 12 2009, 10:44 PM) As real estate investors we are somewhat insulated in that we have 2 things going for us:
a) prime rate is low and expected to drop another 0.5% in January 2009, and
b) there are CMHC insured mortgages available, both for multi-family and for residential

Thus cost and availability of capital is much better than for most other businesses !
Excellent points both!

Regarding owner occupied SF homes, I am hearing recently that CMHC is tightening up on who & what they will approve. Are you seeing this in CMHC`s multi-family lending?

gwasser

Registered
Although it may seem that things are improving too slowly or not at all, I have to report that we do make actual progress in the credit crunch. Believe it or not. Overnight rates have been falling and so is LIBOR. LIBOR is now just a fraction above where it was in August. Also, interbank lending is slowly coming back alive. Combined with all the planned TARP and other government stimuli we should get out of the woods.

The current crises has now evolved to concerns about the recession, which finally may be reflected in the GDP numbers for the coming quarter. Problem is that most past recessions have not been recognized until after the fact. But this quarter we may actually see negative GDP growth and we need 2 such quarters in a row to call it a real recession.

So the next question the market has to resolve is how long and severe is the recession going to be - my guess is that most has already been discounted in the markets. Most recessions are not that long lasting and the market improves half a year prior to that (says the rule). Many pundits say that this recession is going to be longer than usual and that we may not recover until 2010. Personally I have no idea other than knowing that pundits are usually wrong. This does not mean, the opposite (a short recession) is right, the thing will probably just play out differently than the pundits say (this wisdom comes from another guru - Ken Fisher).

So keep your cashflow going and just sit it out, one little step in this crises at a time. We will survive if we keep our cool. Cool he?

Top Bottom