Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Collecting on Judgements

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
I am about to evict an RTO tenant who is 4 months behind in their rent. (They are about to receive a large legal settlement, and based on that I have allowed this to go on too long. Their lawyer confirmed there is a settlement coming.) They are now dismayed and indignant that I have proceeded with eviction. Go figure!!! This interesting story is too long to go into details here.
In preparing to do battle with them, I am getting ready to execute on a judgment, when it is obtained, including garnisheeing wages and bank accounts, seizing assets, etc. But, "which bank do they use?" was a big question.

They were paying by EFT. This week I contacted my bank to see if it still has the TB`s banking information. It does, and I now have it, too.

Because I had the TB complete the EFT form and send it to me for forwarding to the bank, the bank was able to give me that information. Had the TB sent the form directly to the bank, it would have been deemed private and I would not have been able to access it.

Here is the advice
:

When collecting rent from a tenant always keep at least one copy of their cheque in your records. If collecting rent via EFTs, have the tenant send you the form so you have that banking information in your files. You never know if you will need it sometime down the road.

Top Bottom