Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Commercial Investing Training

OlegP

Registered
There has been a number of threads in this forum asking about Commercial Real Estate training. I have been looking for an affordable, yet informative course, and here is what I found.

It is with Markus Group. They will be doing a 1-day seminar on February 22. I believe the location is in Burlington, Ontario. The cost is $299 per person. I did take their courses before, and found their information very practical.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (OlegP @ Feb 11 2009, 10:04 AM) There has been a number of threads in this forum asking about Commercial Real Estate training. I have been looking for an affordable, yet informative course, and here is what I found.

It is with Markus Group. They will be doing a 1-day seminar on February 22. I believe the location is in Burlington, Ontario. The cost is $299 per person. I did take their courses before, and found their information very practical.

To register, go to www.markusgroup.com, and look under 1 Day Workshops.
they sell you their $5000 to $15,000 3-4 day workshop + "mentoring service" .. WAY OVERPRICED stuff .. buy a book for $39 .. and join REIN !!

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Go to REIC.Ca and look for courses that interest you. They offer a myriad of ICI courses for those interested in that segment of the market. Most can be taken at home and online.

REIC is the Canadian franchisee for the Certified Property Manager`s designation offered by the Institute of Real Estate Management in Chicago. IREM.org Check it for courses not offered in Canada. I don`t keep on top of the courses, so I don`t know if there are more available through IREM than REIC.

You can also check CCIM.com and BOMA. BOMA is more facility related, while CCIM is analysis and marketing of ICI properties.

All four offer great courses, in its specific market niche, to help you learn more about analysis and/or management of ICI properties.I am biased because I took the CPM program. But, for analysis, CCIM is second to none. It is aimed at the marketer of ICI properties.

You could probably take every course all of these organizations offer and still have money in your pocket compared to taking the course mentioned.

OlegP

Registered
QUOTE (Dan_Eisenhauer @ Feb 11 2009, 11:14 PM) Go to REIC.Ca and look for courses that interest you. They offer a myriad of ICI courses for those interested in that segment of the market. Most can be taken at home and online.

REIC is the Canadian franchisee for the Certified Property Manager`s designation offered by the Institute of Real Estate Management in Chicago. IREM.org Check it for courses not offered in Canada. I don`t keep on top of the courses, so I don`t know if there are more available through IREM than REIC.

You can also check CCIM.com and BOMA. BOMA is more facility related, while CCIM is analysis and marketing of ICI properties.

All four offer great courses, in its specific market niche, to help you learn more about analysis and/or management of ICI properties.I am biased because I took the CPM program. But, for analysis, CCIM is second to none. It is aimed at the marketer of ICI properties.

You could probably take every course all of these organizations offer and still have money in your pocket compared to taking the course mentioned.

Dan,

Thank you for providing these websites. It looks like they are for certification programs. I am sorry if I am missing something, but the prices for these courses are not low at all. The one I mentioned is only $299. I think it is an intro to commercial investing for those who have gained some experience investing in residential real estate, and want to make the next step.

The reason I published it here is that I have seen many threads requesting info on how to get started in commercial investing. So perhaps this course would be a good starting point.

zoltanwise

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Feb 11 2009, 09:11 AM) they sell you their $5000 to $15,000 3-4 day workshop + "mentoring service" .. WAY OVERPRICED stuff .. buy a book for $39 .. and join REIN !!

I agree I`m 24 years old and I have been looking for more and more education. I have found so many so called seminars and information sessions and most of it`s crap. REIN is EXCELLENT!
I`m hoping to buy my first investment property on my in the next few months here.
Last year I actually invested with you Thomas with Prestprop and I`m quite happy with the update information have got back.

Kelly Parks

RogerPanchuk

Registered
What about Greg habstritt course offered at the rein meeting? Any comments on what Greg has to offer,is it worth the money ?

dk06

Registered
I`m curious about Greg`s course as well; of course today was the deadline to get the REIN discount. Personally I`ve found Greg to be a credible and insightful Real Estate expert in the presentations he`s made at REIN meetings and expect his course to live up to REIN standards of thoroughness and excellent value for the money. Unfortunately I won`t be able to attend, but would love to hear feedback from anyone who attends.

Best Regards.
DK

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
I agree that the courses I mention are certification courses. So what? The question was, "Where can I learn more about ICI?" They provide lots of practical information in them, without becoming certified.

I do not know the $299 program specifically. But, I suspect you will get what you pay for. I also suspect it is a hook to buy more and more of their program, ending up with the $15,000 Thomas mentioned..

I watched with interest Greg`s presentation in Edmonton last week. I was one of the first to register for his three day session.

REIN is excellent for single family home buyers. But, until now, there has been a void for those of us who want to make the leap to ICI. I am delighted that REIN has bridged that gap with Greg. I eagerly wait to see how pleased I will be. My first reaction is very positive.

HeatherShadlock

Registered
I have always enjoyed listening to Greg speak when he is at REIN meetings. I find that he is full of incredibly usefull information. Not just selling something. And I appreciate his offer to refund the registration fee if you take action in the next year. For that reason I enrolled today. When I spoke with Laura in their office she seems very reasonable. I mentioned that I may want to take a guest but didn`t know if I would have the information in by the end of the day to get the discount. She said just to make a notation on the form and send it in whenever and she would still would still give me the discount. I bet if you really wanted to go, if you phoned on Monday and explained that you are a REIN member and missed the deadline, they may make an exception.
From the sounds of it, Greg really wanted to have REIN members there. My husband and I have only dabbled on the commercial side and we would like to get more deeply into it. I truely believe that anyone that is truely dedicated will come out of this course and be able to immediately take action.

I am looking forward to it, and I know that it is money well spent!

Heather

randy

Registered
QUOTE (HeatherShadlock @ Feb 13 2009, 09:14 PM) I have always enjoyed listening to Greg speak when he is at REIN meetings. I find that he is full of incredibly usefull information. Not just selling something. And I appreciate his offer to refund the registration fee if you take action in the next year. For that reason I enrolled today. When I spoke with Laura in their office she seems very reasonable. I mentioned that I may want to take a guest but didn`t know if I would have the information in by the end of the day to get the discount. She said just to make a notation on the form and send it in whenever and she would still would still give me the discount. I bet if you really wanted to go, if you phoned on Monday and explained that you are a REIN member and missed the deadline, they may make an exception.
From the sounds of it, Greg really wanted to have REIN members there. My husband and I have only dabbled on the commercial side and we would like to get more deeply into it. I truely believe that anyone that is truely dedicated will come out of this course and be able to immediately take action.

I am looking forward to it, and I know that it is money well spent!

Heather
I wonder if you could give more info on greg`s course. I recently ceased to be a member as I realised that I had no interest in residential real eastate. I do own 4 rentals but only want comercial in the future. Maybee I quite a month to early darn.

RJPurvis

Registered
I signed up for Greg`s course for $2k - I was going to try and find a guest but I ran out of time.

To be frank with you, I had no interest in commercial real estate at all (for now) while I deal with the couple of residential properties that I currently have.

The other night at the REIN meeting I was hoping that they would do the residential stuff first and then do Greg`s presentation after - I had no idea who Greg was.

I was really impressed. I am a CA, have attended many courses on all kinds of topics (marketing included) and have seen the best of the best and the worst of the worst. REIN itself (which I just joined in December) is truly one of the best run resource groups I have ever been a part of.

And Greg, well, his presentation was excellent and really piqued my interest. So I signed up and I am really looking forward to it. One of the things that appeals to me is the idea of dealing with business tenants versus residential tenants. Obviously with commercial the dollars are bigger (you`re not replacing a water heater, you`re replacing a boiler for example) so it does require that you have access to more capital. But again, the idea of dealing with businesses for some reason hit me during his presentation, along with many other positives.

If anyone else wants to correspond off line about commercial in preparation for Greg`s course - I would be interested in doing so - just drop me a line.

Top Bottom