Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Condo Conversion

distasi

Registered
I am interested in purchasing a 18 unit building in Regina, SK. that has already been approved for a conversion. If I were to purchase the building my plan would be to hold it for min. 5 years (and of course rent it) but I want to understand all my exit options. What kind of costs are associated with condo conversions?

Thanks for your help.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Costs to consider are higher holding costs due to higher taxes initially. Then, assuming 18 titles already and approval by the municipality, costs before sales are:

a) seeding reserve fund or upgrading major items like roof, boiler, balconies, landscaping, hallway carpets, windows, parking lot, .... budget $100,000 to $300,000 depending on age and intended quality levels

b) interior in-suite upgrades .. budget $4,000 to $24,000 per unit depending on target audience, intended price and unit size

c) marketing and sales costs .. 4-8% of sales price

d) financing fees to get 18 mortgages or partially dischargeable mortgage, budget 1% higher interest rate plus appraisals and mortgage initiation fees, another $25,000 to $40,000 or so

e) higher holding costs during partial sales phase (that could take 1-3 years) due to condo fees and higher management fees

I've done a few conversions successfully .. and aborted a few due to these costs. High risk - high reward and very cash intensive venture ! It can make you rich if executed well, or bankrupt you if done poorly.

distasi

Registered
Thanks for your input, Thomas- I was really hoping you would see my post and provide some feedback.

Top Bottom