Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Converting Residential Property to a Legal Duplex

mrembecki

Registered
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any input as to the process of converting a single family residential property to a legal duplex. I found an interesting property that is deemed to be a dulex by mpac or mpax (don`t know the exact acronym of the real estate body) but not by the municipality. So the listing agent told me that the property taxes that are being paid out are as if the house was a duplex and she also told me that the application with the city for legal conversion will probably be easier. I`m a little confused about the fact that one body (mpac/mpax, whatever!) sees this property as a duplex while the city does not. Second, I know that a legal duplex needs to have at least three possible exits, are there any other major requierments to content with? How easy/difficult is it to receive approval from the city? I apoligize if this post is unclear.

Many Thanks in Advance. Martin

HeatherShadlock

Registered
Hi Martin,

I am not sure where you are sending the post from....and that can play a bit factor in regards to what you may need to do in order to be a legal duplex. I have a bit of experience with duplexes and I believe that you would need a fire barrier between the two units. Exits are a big one, smoke detectors and Co2 detectors. The property could have been built a certain style but it does not conform with the zoning that the city had in place.
Applications go into the city for rezoning or change of use, and letters go out to notify the surrounding owners, and usually ads in the paper for public announcements. If the city approves and no one opposes, then it can go through.
Of course, like I mentioned, this can be different for different areas.

I don`t know if that helps,
Heather

mcgregok

Registered
Do your own homework. Go to your city planning dept. and have a sitdown to ask your questions.

Top Bottom