Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Credit bureau scoring info

mortgageman

Registered
Hello!
A REIN member emailed me last week asking if I could forward a pamphlet on the major components that go into determining credit scores.
I`m sorry but I can`t find your email on my computer or my blackberry. Please email me again so I have your email address and I`d be happy to send it along. Sorry for the delay.
Thanks
Jason

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (mortgageman @ Dec 10 2009, 10:36 PM) Hello!
A REIN member emailed me last week asking if I could forward a pamphlet on the major components that go into determining credit scores.
I`m sorry but I can`t find your email on my computer or my blackberry. Please email me again so I have your email address and I`d be happy to send it along. Sorry for the delay.
Thanks
Jason
publish it here ! We all love to know !!

MikeDix

Registered
I believe I have found something bizare about the scoring formula. Particularly important to real estate investors. I couldn`t understand why my credit score wasn`t a perfect score, despite having a perfect payment and credit history on a lot of properties over the years. If you hold traditional mortgages in good standing versus the same amount in maxed out LOC`s, it appears your credit score will take a bit of a hit. Most of my financing is through LOC`s, yet LOC`s appear to be treated more like credit card debt. The higher you get to maxing them out, the more of a hit to your credit score. Just my personal observation...anyone else come across this?

kanabel

Registered
QUOTE (MikeDix @ Dec 31 2009, 01:44 PM) I believe I have found something bizare about the scoring formula. Particularly important to real estate investors. I couldn`t understand why my credit score wasn`t a perfect score, despite having a perfect payment and credit history on a lot of properties over the years. If you hold traditional mortgages in good standing versus the same amount in maxed out LOC`s, it appears your credit score will take a bit of a hit. Most of my financing is through LOC`s, yet LOC`s appear to be treated more like credit card debt. The higher you get to maxing them out, the more of a hit to your credit score. Just my personal observation...anyone else come across this?

That is exactly what one of my previous posts referred to. At that point I had an option to take LOC or mortgage for some refinances, but after I heard similar stories I opted for mortgage. However, that`s only my case, as at this particular point I need credit score mprovement in order to continue purchasing with stronger position. Generally you could qualify without perfect score. I even called Equifax, but even their representative couldn`t explain this. LOCs are always (even secured) classified as "revolving" account on your file, as credit card or unsecured LOC, whereas mortgage is mortgage (for those banks that DO report it), and apparently takes different hits on your credit file.

Happy New Year

Dejan

Nir

REIN Member
QUOTE (MikeDix @ Dec 31 2009, 02:44 PM) I believe I have found something bizare about the scoring formula. Particularly important to real estate investors. I couldn`t understand why my credit score wasn`t a perfect score, despite having a perfect payment and credit history on a lot of properties over the years. If you hold traditional mortgages in good standing versus the same amount in maxed out LOC`s, it appears your credit score will take a bit of a hit. Most of my financing is through LOC`s, yet LOC`s appear to be treated more like credit card debt. The higher you get to maxing them out, the more of a hit to your credit score. Just my personal observation...anyone else come across this?

very true. If I recall correctly, using no more than 40% (or 60%?) of your LOC limit should not affect your FICO score negatively.
exceeding that might.

OlegP

Registered
There are some old threads where this topic was discussed in detail. There are various credit characteristics that formulate Beacon score (Equifax) or Empirica score (Trans Union). FICO score is actually a US scoring model, but since both Canadian bureaus use Fair Isaac built scorecards, many credit people use the term FICO in Canada as well.

Now, many scoring models including FICO tend to separate Revolving debt (credit cards, etc.) vs. Installment Debt (car loans, etc.). When scoring revolving debt characteristics, particular attention is given to Utilization. The rationale is that a) if you choose to carry balances and pay min payments, statistic analysis shows you are a higher risk than somebody who pays balances in full; and b) it is your choice as a consumer how much of your credit limit to use up. Installment Loans tend to be given for the exact amount of the purchase, hence utilization is not as predictive.

Your LOC is normally treated as Revolving Debt, whereas Mortgage would be treated either as an Installment product, or specifically a Mortgage product. So when you highly utilize your LOC, the scoring model spots that you are not paying your revolving debt in full, and therefore, "punishes" you for it by assigning fewer scoring points. The higher is the utilization on your LOC, the worse the "punishment". Under 50% utilization is generally not triggering a lower score. 50-75% will cost you some points, whereas over 75% will definitely be adversely reflected in your score.

Hope this helps.

brentdavies

Registered
When I pull my credit history and score, mortgages are not reported at all. Only inquiries when an application is made for a mortgage.

So why are credit cards reported and mortgages are not?

OlegP

Registered
QUOTE (brentdavies @ Jan 6 2010, 12:28 PM) When I pull my credit history and score, mortgages are not reported at all. Only inquiries when an application is made for a mortgage.

So why are credit cards reported and mortgages are not?

This is long story. Basically, credit bureaus have been trying to work out a consensus between all Financial Institutions as to reporting requirements. Some institutions are willing to report, some are not. Then those who are willing to report say that they will share only with those banks who also report their mortgages, and will not share with those who do not. Then you have credit issuers who do not do mortgages - so do they get to see this information or not? Then there are Credit Unions some of which are fine with reporting, and some are against because they value privacy of their customers, etc.

I am not sure exactly where this story is at right now, but that`s what the hold-up was years ago, and it does not look like a lot of progress has been made.

Some mortgages, like Scotiabank`s STEP program seem to appear on the files.

mortgageman

Registered
QUOTE (OlegP @ Jan 7 2010, 02:20 PM) Some mortgages, like Scotiabank`s STEP program seem to appear on the files.

Yes, I believe this is because the STEP is a collateral mortgage.

kanabel

Registered
QUOTE (mortgageman @ Jan 7 2010, 03:26 PM) Yes, I believe this is because the STEP is a collateral mortgage.

BMO reports as well, but visible only at Equifax reports, if I remember well...

Top Bottom