Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Credit Monitoring Services

TomB

Registered
I`m interested in signing up for a credit monitoring service. There are a few out there and just wondering if anyone uses them and which ones are recommended. A lot of personal information is requested on line. If the service isn`t legit, it is sure an easy way to get a lot of info on someone !

All comments are welcome and appreciated.

DaveRhydderch

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Mar 2 2009, 08:47 AM) I use Credit Alert and I`ve been happy with their services.

Ditto for me.

FUvW

Registered
QUOTE (TomB @ Mar 1 2009, 12:27 PM) I`m interested in signing up for a credit monitoring service. There are a few out there and just wondering if anyone uses them and which ones are recommended. A lot of personal information is requested on line. If the service isn`t legit, it is sure an easy way to get a lot of info on someone !

I investigated these a year back and settled on CIBC CreditSmart. It does Equifax only, but it`s free, you get it automatically with their CIBC Visa cards (get a CIBC Visa which doesn`t have annual fee, and you basically have the whole thing for free).

The problem with ALL these services (be it Credit Alert or CIBC CreditSmart) is they`ll only show Hard pulls and few MAJOR changes to credit report (they give you a listing what they`d alert you about). They DO NOT show soft pulls, or anything besides the specific things on their list.

I remember I was very disappointed because I wanted a service that would notify me about ANY changes to my credit report, or that would allow me to access my report directly, so that I could check it myself. There is nothing like that in Canada (in US that`s a standard credit monitoring service).

A lot of credit pulls are soft pulls, and you will not be alerted about those... The whole "Credit monitoring" industry in Canada is a joke. In US you get unlimited access to your credit report, you can check it daily if you want, you would see any soft pulls done, anything... Here they charge you money and provide half-assed service.

HeatherShadlock

Registered
QUOTE (TomB @ Mar 1 2009, 12:27 PM) I`m interested in signing up for a credit monitoring service. There are a few out there and just wondering if anyone uses them and which ones are recommended. A lot of personal information is requested on line. If the service isn`t legit, it is sure an easy way to get a lot of info on someone !

I personally use mycreditalert and have been satisfied with their services. There are flaws to every system, but it is important to be proactive in monitoring your credit as best you can. mycreditalert will give you information from both Equifax and Transunion, which is important because not all creditors report to both bureaus and sometimes you will see major discrepancies between the two. The one that I have is $14.95/mth.
Alternatively, you can mark on your calendar and request from both Equifax and Transunion for free once per year. Although, this will not give you your beacon score, it will allow you to monitor what is happening on your bureau. Alternate the two every 6 months.

I personally find that for the monthly fee, it is worth it. As an investor, this amount seems minor in the big picture, and helps me keep my credit in check. Which is essentially my life line!

Top Bottom