Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dealing with defect product under builder`s warranty.

reinvtoronto

Registered
Hello I am dealing with dish washer issues at my rental unit. My dishwasher leaks and it is new condo so builder's warranty covers to fix it. Yet the builder does not respond my request and I've been frustrated since I do not know who I should talk to regarding this. Should I push property management or who else I should talk to? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
That is normal.

Builders do nothing until the owner goes away. Usually there is an insurance firm that pays these claims, too. Find out who it is and phone them, write them, then threaten them. Then they may respond. Or not.

Newly built condos are very high risk due to these frequent, and often unfixed deficiencies, for years.

Fix the problem, then sue the builder in small claims court.

Contact other owners. Likely you are not the only one with these minor issues. There may be other, far more major issues. Construction quality is a huge issue in new condos.

Write a letter to the condo board. The condo manager is often in bed with the builder and not friendly to owners. That firm has to be replaced ASAP in many cases.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
One mandate of many provincial New Home Warranty programs is to ensure that builders honour the builders' warranty. So you may want to contact yours.

Of course, in order to honour your lease agreement, you will need to fix the dishwasher as soon as possible, in which case the New Home Warranty program will be out of the picture. For construction issues they may be able to help with enforcement.

reinvtoronto

Registered
Thank you for your comment! You said insurance company. Does that mean my insurance company who covers my rental unit?

reinvtoronto

Registered
I reside in Ontario and I have a condo here. Usually here there is Tarion for new build but mine is conversion (I am not sure this is the right term) so Tarion doesn't cover the unit thus builder.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=reinvtoronto]You said insurance company. Does that mean my insurance company who covers my rental unit?
Most, if not all, builders' warranties are covered by insurance as many builders use shell companies with no assets after the building is sold. The condo board should know what insurance is involved. The insurance I am talking about is the insurance for the warranty by the builder.

More here: http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/alberta_home_warranties.cfm

or

here: http://www.anhwp.com

Call them to get more info. be very persistent. VERY ! repeated calls or written letters will get you results, eventually, but it is is designed for the weak to give up (oh, it is only a dishwasher, it is only $500) !

reinvtoronto

Registered
Thank you Thomas! This is certainly very discouraging but at least I can talk to someone eventually instead of emailing back and forth for no end. I will keep you posted

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
And the insurance that I mentioned is the provincial New Home Warranty Plan. That plan really only covers serious structural deficiencies, but some help to enforce the builder to honour his warranty.

There should be reference to it in your purchase documents - often the warranty forms are on the back of the builder's purchase agreement. If not, then your policy should have arrived in the mail some time after closing.

reinvtoronto

Registered
Thank you for your comment! I would really appreciate your time to comment on my thread. Warranty dept called me saying they booked a technician on Monday so hopefully that will resolve the issue. I will keep you posted!

Top Bottom