Developer wants to buy my house

JohnS

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Ottawa
Hello all. Yesterday I had an opportunity come up that I wasn`t expecting to have happen, so I thought I would take advantage of the brains and experience here as I move forward.

I have one property, which I decided to live in, in a transitional area in Ottawa (#7 town in Ontario). Directly behind my place, they`re going to be building a 16-story, 90 unit residential building. I naturally had been planning on keeping it for another couple of years, until it appreciated a lot more, and then sell it to a young government worker. (It`s literally a 2-minute walk to a big government complex.) I got it in fall of 2004 for $152 000, put about $15 000 into it. Now, it`s worth roughly $200 000 - probably a bit less, possibly a bit more. And my mortgage is for roughly $110 000.

Yesterday, I got a letter in the mailbox, from the broker involved in the land transaction of the properties directly behind me. She wants me to call her, as she has an offer for my property from the developer. My neighbour came over and talked to me yesterday, and said that when she was talking to him, she said that they wanted our properties for parking (apparently so they won`t have to dig as much for underground parking). I assume my property would work a bit better for them than his, as mine is directly behind the new site, and his is behind and a bit to one side. They also won`t be able to build to either side, or behind and to the other side. They basically only have one quadrant to go to, in which I have the prime position. I haven`t yet called to get the offer from them, as I wanted to do a bit of my due diligence first, to see how this could best work.

Overall, I`m assuming it`s a very good situation to be in, and could potentially leap me forward a lot. With that in mind, what`s the best way to handle it? I`m not interested in selling for market value, but if it`s high enough that it will help me towards my goals, then I`m all for it. So, has anyone been in this kind of situation before? What kind of due diligence should I do? What information should I be looking for, and where should I get it? Is there any kind of guideline or rule of thumb as to the percentage higher than market that is paid out in these kinds of cases?

One final consideration is that my ability to get my next mortgage will be a lot less than when I got this one, as my income has gone down over the last year or so, so my mortgages will be pretty out of whack.

Thanks for your help, all!

John Scanlon

Nir

REIN Member
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto
Hi,

To begin, no I have never been in this situation.

Two ways of looking at it for negotiation purposes:

1. From your perspective. you know what you expect.
2. From the developer`s point of view. you can only estimate how much your property is worth for him. ($250K?, $500K?, 1 million?)

1. You mentioned "I naturally had been planning on keeping it for another couple of years, until it appreciated a lot more, and then sell it to a young government worker".

My advice in order to create a WIN WIN situation, in this case, is decide on what you consider will be a Great selling price for you 2 years from now and sell it to the developer for that same price today! (say 10% appreciation a year = 121% of its current value in 2 years = $242,000)

Good luck,
Neil

Sarnia

Registered
May 10, 2008
John make sure you keep a level head here. Many people think that a developer will offer an amazing deal, and he may depending on how bad he wants your property, but if it works out cheaper for him to dig down than acquiring the 2 lots, you might be surprised. The other point here is the developer might make it a condition that he needs to acquire both your lot and the neighbors lot to make it financially feasible for him. Make sure you take care of yourself, and let the developer come to you, they can track you down quite easily if they are interested. (By the way - in my lvery limited experience, it is interesting to be able to see how your neighbors determine whose property is worth more). Again be on the alert and take it in stride. I hope you get that amazing deal that we all hear about. Remember the broker is working for the developer . Best of Luck.

consider the NEGATIVE impact on your home if you do not sell: 2 years of noise and traffic, followed by more traffic, more shade and a totally different feel to the neighborhood with a big building behind you !

Tell them you would consider an offer by them .. and then get it in writing. Then consider the offer.

You can counter at a value you like, but be mindful that they may not like it and that you may have a LESS desirable property 2 years from now !

You also have to act reasonably fast, as the builders plans can`t be changed significantly once they start getting building permits.

JohnS

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Ottawa
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Sorry I couldn`t get back to you earlier, but I went away for the weekend.

As to the update....
I contacted the broker, and said that I wasn`t interested in selling at market, but I could be interested if it was enough over market. She tried a bunch of times to get me to name a price, but I just kept repeating that a) I`d have to get an appraisal to establish market (a little white lie, as I have a pretty good idea of what it`s worth) and b) she should just send me their offer and we`d go from there. So, she said that she`d get it to me by today.

This afternoon, I got a voicemail from her, saying that the developers had decided not to put in offers on my and my neighbour`s property.

So, I guess that puts an end to that. Back to Plan A for me - Luckily, it should still be a good one.

Have a good one!

JohnS

Sarnia

Registered
May 10, 2008
Hey John,

It might be over, but then again it might not......I think many developers use this strategy to get the vendor interested, and maybe even out looking for new homes....good job at keeping a level head. If they really want your property they will come to you with an offer, and often, they will pay for the appraisal...

JohnS

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Ottawa
QUOTE (Sarnia @ Aug 15 2008, 09:56 AM) Hey John,

It might be over, but then again it might not......I think many developers use this strategy to get the vendor interested, and maybe even out looking for new homes....good job at keeping a level head. If they really want your property they will come to you with an offer, and often, they will pay for the appraisal...

Yeah, I was thinking of that after - that there`s a good chance it`s just a bargaining tactic on their side, to make it look like they don`t really want it. Either way, though, the ball`s still in their court. And the appraisal doesn`t matter all that much to me. I mean, I have a pretty good idea of what it`s worth on the regular market, but I`m not interested in selling it at that. It would be worth much more to a developer, so that`s the number I`m interested in.

Have a good one!

JohnS

JohnS

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Ottawa
Well, the broker for the developer called today, and left a voicemail. Apparently, the dialogue isn`t over yet. Interesting!

JohnS