Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do I have to get permission or permits to cut down big trees in my front lawn?

Allie

Registered
My general contractor says no but I wanted to double check. I am wondering if I need any permission or permit to get rid of the tall spruce trees situated on the front lawn of my duplex.

Ready4Rent

Registered
Not sure about where you are but here in Brantford, you have to get permission from City Hall to cut down any tree. But this was a recent introduction into the bylaws. Best to call City Hall and just ask.

John

seanverret

Registered
When you get your answer could you post it here, because we have some major trees in our front yard as well that we`d like to get rid of.

Thanks

smack123

Registered
QUOTE (seanverret @ Apr 21 2009, 09:46 AM) When you get your answer could you post it here, because we have some major trees in our front yard as well that we`d like to get rid of.

Thanks

I do not believe that Edmonton has a tree removal bylaw. We didn`t have one when I lived in Fort Saskatchewan.

Much more common here in BC.

vandriani

REIN Member
I believe in the Vancouver area certain municipalities require a permit when the tree exceeds a certain diameter. Best to call the city.

StevenRoorda

Registered
Typically, the local municipality controls tree cutting and creates bylaws for removal and retention. One thing to note is that your front yard may not extend a close to the road as you think and the tree may actually belong to the City. If there is a sidewalk in front of the house, the road (city property) may extend anywhere from .1 m to over 2 m behind the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, the city property may extend even further than that behind the curb or edge of the asphalt. You should check your survey to make sure.

I say this on the chance that you (or any else for that matter) decides to cut the tree down only to find out that the tree wasn`t theirs to begin with. I have dealt with the City in cases of mistaken removal of trees and there has been talk of compensation for the removed tree. There are standard and accepted calculations available that can value a tree at many tens of thousands of dollars, depending on its rarity, species and health. The Municipal bylaws may have enough teeth to require that value as compensation for a removed tree.

Good luck; the City arborist or environmental planner should be able to give you direction.

Steve

Top Bottom