Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do Your Eyes Deceive You?

CarlaJohnson

Registered
Please take a brief moment to vote.

Real estate photography techniques are new and poorly understood. Few statistics exist on it, yet a small number of people are now starting to make the business aware of it - including me! 15 years ago, people thought staging was a frill concept, but now it is a staple of the business. So too, in time, the methods of how to take effective ad photos will be a staple too.

As investors, we are online looking for our next opportunity on a regular basis. We look at more listings than most, so we have a good handle on what actually works and what doesn`t work. Plus, we need rental photos that bring in the best tenants. Our bottom line counts on it.

Please take the poll and feel free to leave your comments.

Note: I am looking for your opinions on online real estate ad photos you have seen, in general - both sales sites and rental sites.

Thank you so much for participating.

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (CarlaJohnson @ Nov 20 2009, 04:55 AM) Real estate photography techniques are new and poorly understood. Few statistics exist on it, yet a small number of people are now starting to make the business aware of it - including me! 15 years ago, people thought staging was a frill concept, but now it is a staple of the business. So too, in time, the methods of how to take effective ad photos will be a staple too.

As investors, we are online looking for our next opportunity on a regular basis. We look at more listings than most, so we have a good handle on what actually works and what doesn`t work. Plus, we need rental photos that bring in the best tenants. Our bottom line counts on it.

Please take the poll and feel free to leave your comments.

Thank you so much for participating.

Hi Carla,

I chose mediocre, which generally reflects my opinion (though I`ve seen really good and really bad). What bugs me the most is when there is only an exterior photo - it makes me wonder how bad it must be inside. Though perhaps it`s because it`s tenanted and they can`t take interior photos. Still, it puts me off.

I guess you`re talking more about rental ads than listings, but for an example of how to do good photos, our realtor`s agency, Schmidt Realty, does really nice ones - lots of shots, wide angles, seem well-staged. http://www.weselledmonton.com/featured-homes/

Nicola

marcp

Registered
I picked mediocre too... except for my latest pics, which are getting pretty good.

I don`t have a wide angle, but I use multiple pics and stitch them with software (PTGui). No special equipment needed unless I`m going for magazine quality pics, then I would use my "pano head" so the final stitch is perfect.

CarlaJohnson

Registered
I checked out the Schmidt realty site. You`re right. They get it. Even the outdated house with dreadful flooring looks like it has potential. The photogapher took wide-angle shots that captured the whole space. You can feel the spaciousness of the rooms. The rest is just elbow grease. Too often, photos are taken with a small point and shoot and all you can get is a corner. With that flooring and old panelling, corner shots would send people running.

Thanks for the feeback.

Keep voting!

CarlaJohnson

Registered
If you haven`t had a chance to cast your vote, please do so. Would it help if I posted some samples of what kinds of photos I think are ugly, mediocre & superb?

markbrad

Registered
Carla,

I would have to say most photos I come across are ugly to mediocre. I have done photography as a business, although not real estate. Most do not use a wide enough angle (including myself) and all have perspective distortion because very few have a tilt-shift lens. I am one of those that uses a point and shoot and usually get just a corner because I have`nt bought myself a wide angle. With that being said, I am not willing to spend the dough on a pro photographer to take my pics.

Mark

CarlaJohnson

Registered
Mark,

You make a good point about a tilt-shift lens and there are many other pieces of equipment that can make photos spectacular. So, may I ask why you are "languishing" with a point and shoot when you know what you are doing - and a decent DSLR is not much more money? It may not take shots to your high standards, but it would be a whole world better.

I recommend using a professional photographer - but with caution. I believe amateurs can take really great ad photos with a bit of composition training - where to stand, what to capture, wide-angle, lighting tips, furnishing tips, etc.

With the advent of the MLS on the internet and digital technology, real estate photography is a brand new unique genre of photography and not all pros get it yet. Some pros take "artsy" shots that are not really helpful to the business. For example, some push the wide-angle too far and the latest trend among pros is to take room shots from a low vantage point so you are looking at the side of the countertop. It creates a sense of movement, but does nothing to sell the house. People want to imagine themselves living and using the rooms. They want to start their story when they view the picture. They want to see if the counter and sink are layed out nicely for making pizza on their family movie nights. Showing the side of the countertop gives them nothing to work with - and you`ve just shelled out big dollars for something that`s not going to do you any good.

* Anyone looking to buy a new camera? Shop at a camera store, not a big box store. There are so many different options and camera stores hire photographers who will help you find the camera that`s exactly what you need. If you are looking for something better than the small point and shoot, ask for a "starter DSLR." DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex. Most camera companies have starter DSLRs for around the $500 range.

Here is a link to some great advice:
http://digital-photography-school.com/how-...y-a-dslr-camera

CarlaJohnson

Registered
Looking to move up to a starter digital SLR camera? Here are two that are inexpensive, but fun. They will enhance your business - your ad photos - and personal life.

1. The Nikon D40 is a great choice. It is not much more than a top-of-the-line point & shoot, but it will do so much more for you. For a DSLR it is smaller in size and light in weight. It has a lot of great features. Take a look

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

2. The Canon Rebel XS is another great choice. In the world of cameras, photographers tend to be devoted to their brand. I`m a Nikon fan, but I often look at my friend`s Canon and think her shots look better. The grass is always greener.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/rebel-xs.htm

If you`re interested in reading up more on Nikon vs. Canon here is an opinion.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm

Cheers!

Top Bottom