Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duplex on R1 lot

dkborys

REIN Member
Hello,

I live in Calgary. I am looking at a 30 year old duplex (physical) that is based on R1 lot. R1 lot allows only single family houses.

1.Does this pose any risk to me? What kind?

2.Could I have issues when applying to the City to change from R1 to R2? How much would it be?

All replies are greatly appreciated

David B

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Can you defne duplex, please. TO me, it is a side by side two family dwelling. But some folks call a bungalow with a basement suite a duplex.

Assuming side-by-side duplex, it may have been grandfathered. It might not be a legal duplex. It means that you cannot sell one half.

R2 means two legal units, each sold separately. Usually the city will not allow a rezoning from R1 to R2. You can ask, but it will likely be rejected.

invst4profit

Registered
You should take all your questions directly to the city and then use the information they provide you as leverage in the purchase. Assuming of course what they tell you does not kill the deal.

dkborys

REIN Member
@ Thomas B

This is Side by side Duplex. However, one side is a bungalow with basement, the other is two story building with a basement. So, sides are "glued", but uneven. each of the two units has its kitchen, washroom.

The area is surrounded by duplexes and multifamily so I assumed that the City will be happy to re-zone it from R1 to R2. Can I receive information from the city right away or first "apply and see?" Can I request information while not being the owner?

Thanks,

David

dkborys

REIN Member
Thomas,

I have read a review of your book. I will implement "last 30 feet" rule more vigorously than ever in my life, both professional and personal. But I will purchase your book only after purchasing first 1 million assets. Reason: I have read too many good books, it is time to implement theory into practice.

I am convinced that your life experiences are going to be inspiring and will help me go from 1 mill to 2 and from investing my and bank's money to investing other people's money & bank's money.

I hope to meet you someday.

Good luck in everything,

David Borys

Top Bottom