Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Experience with Selling Realtors

Coreena

Registered
Hi, I am sure that most of the REIN members are buying right now instead of selling. However, I am selling a home right now in BC. I was wondering what some of the members experiences have been with their selling realtors. I find that the last two homes I sold all the realtor did was put the house on MLS and wait. The last one I used did place an incentive with a cruise for two. I have had a few open houses but the realtor has said that she wont do another for awhile. I have decided that the next house I sell I will have to interview each realtor and have them give me a marketing plan on how they are going to sell my house. Has anyone done this before? What are some of the things that you have found worked that your realtor has done to sell the house? I know that recently Realtors haven`t had to work to sell houses they pretty much sold themselves, but things are changing. I have taken steps on my part the make my house as appealing as possible. Completely renovated, staged, no clutter and as much curb appeal as possible without replacing all my siding on the house.

What are some of the things I can get my realtor to do for this house to sell it faster? Besides dropping the price which seems to be their answer.

Also someone told me that when her contract expires in July that if I sell the house after that I am still liable to give her commission for six months after the contract expirey. Any comments on this??

Thanks Coreena

FayWong

Registered
QUOTE (Coreena @ Jun 18 2008, 10:15 AM) I have taken steps on my part the make my house as appealing as possible. Completely renovated, staged, no clutter and as much curb appeal as possible without replacing all my siding on the house.This is the best thing you can do. Did you power wash the siding? When you can`t replace it, washing helps. Was it professionally staged, or did you do it yourself? My own house is for sale too. I found that I could stage investment properties quite well, but not the house I used to live in- I had to consult with a professional and they tweaked things a bit actually a lot. My realtor found the staging consultant!
QUOTE (Coreena @ Jun 18 2008, 10:15 AM) What are some of the things I can get my realtor to do for this house to sell it faster? Besides dropping the price which seems to be their answer. Open houses help a little to find buyers but maybe less than you think. My realtor said you usually get curious neighbours, or neighbours who want to sell their own homes and are trying to compare their house`s value to yours. When the supply is low this is more of a way for a realtor to get new listings than a way to sell your house. I think the The MLS ad is critical. Look at his/her MLS ad. Pretend you are a buyer. Based on the ad, would the house make your `short` list? I recently fired one realtor and hired a new one because, when I looked at the ads for my district I placed my own house at #4 or #5 based on the MLS listing, but being familar with the other houses my house should be #2 It was just a bad ad with terrible pictures. They weren`t willing to change it. (#1 was bigger,couldn`t fix that). One other thing they can do is to be sure the house is included in the local "realtor caravans". The bigger brokerages take all the realtors in their office and occasionally all their companies offices in a Van to see all the houses for sale in a neighbourhood.
QUOTE (Coreena @ Jun 18 2008, 10:15 AM) Also someone told me that when her contract expires in July that if I sell the house after that I am still liable to give her commission for six months after the contract expirey. Any comments on this?? This is ridiculous
. Unless you sold it to someone they had shown the house to. If you are going to list with a new realtor don`t worry about it, let the realtors work it out. If you are going to be selling on your own then ask the realtor what their policy is. Get the answer in writing. This probably will not be a problem, but if they do want commissions for people they have shown the house to, insist on a list of people and when they showed it.

Coreena

Registered
QUOTE (FayWong @ Jun 18 2008, 02:00 PM) This is the best thing you can do. Did you power wash the siding? When you can`t replace it, washing helps. Was it professionally staged, or did you do it yourself? My own house is for sale too. I found that I could stage investment properties quite well, but not the house I used to live in- I had to consult with a professional and they tweaked things a bit actually a lot. My realtor found the staging consultant!
Open houses help a little to find buyers but maybe less than you think. My realtor said you usually get curious neighbours, or neighbours who want to sell their own homes and are trying to compare their house`s value to yours. When the supply is low this is more of a way for a realtor to get new listings than a way to sell your house. I think the The MLS ad is critical. Look at his/her MLS ad. Pretend you are a buyer. Based on the ad, would the house make your `short` list? I recently fired one realtor and hired a new one because, when I looked at the ads for my district I placed my own house at #4 or #5 based on the MLS listing, but being familar with the other houses my house should be #2 It was just a bad ad with terrible pictures. They weren`t willing to change it. (#1 was bigger,couldn`t fix that). One other thing they can do is to be sure the house is included in the local "realtor caravans". The bigger brokerages take all the realtors in their office and occasionally all their companies offices in a Van to see all the houses for sale in a neighbourhood.
This is ridiculous
. Unless you sold it to someone they had shown the house to. If you are going to list with a new realtor don`t worry about it, let the realtors work it out. If you are going to be selling on your own then ask the realtor what their policy is. Get the answer in writing. This probably will not be a problem, but if they do want commissions for people they have shown the house to, insist on a list of people and when they showed it.

Thanks Fay for some good advice!
Coreena

Top Bottom