Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FIRE! Need advice

trev

Registered
Had a fire in a condo townhouse of mine last night. No one hurt and fire was limited to one bedroom before being put out, but from what I am hearing from fire officials on scene and contractors sent to secure the unit until repairs start it sounds like at least 1/3 of the 2 storey unit will be gutted and replaced due to smoke and water damage.

My tenant had given notice for the end of March. Obviously with this type of repair they simply won't come back.

The initail assessment is that the fire started at an electrical outlet in that bedroom. There were 2 items plugged into that outlet and a matress pushed tight up against it.

An investigation is scheduled for tomorrow to determine wether the plug / wiring to the plug is responsible for the fire or the items plugged into the outlet + contents up against it were to blame.

This is my first fire claim. Claim of any sort actually.

I am hoping to get input / advice on a couple things. The property is in Ontario

• The smoke and fire damage is pretty obvious, but I am concerned about the water damage. In one spot there is evidence of water damage on the 2nd + main floors and the finished basement. There was also water running down the exterior side of the wall where the fire was that would have been hit hardest by the fire fighters. How can I ensure that I don't have moisture that may cause mold or other future damage somewhere that the adjuster and contractors decide may not need to be gutted?
  • The tenant has paid for the balance of this months rent plus last months rent. If the investigation shows cause of the fire to be the tenants actions, what are my responsibilities to refund rent already paid?
    Is there any tenant costs that I may be responsible for?
    Any other comments on dealing with insurance company/ adjusters / contractors / tenants. This being my first fire, I may not even know what to watch for or ask

Tahnk you in advance for any comments you may have.

dplummer

Registered
As a restoration contractor myself for 25 years, your insurance company will use or should use a IICRC certified restoration co. The contractor will check moisture & relative humidity to ensure dryness of the building. You can ask the contractor for a copy of his readings before they actually start repairs.

Your Insurance will restore your home to a "pre loss condition" any code upgrades required will be at your expense.

If you have any questions that I can help you with let me know.

Doug

Herbert

Registered
Hi All,

Through forums we can learn and exchange knowledge.

This information was new for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom