Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fireplaces

moparcanuck

Registered
Hey all,

Found me my next property! Huge townhouse. 4 level split, 4 bed, 1.5 bath, 1500+ sq ft, plus the undeveloped basement at around 800 sq ft. Even the crawl space (about 600 sq ft) is huge, and the space is about 5 ft tall, lots of storage! It's an end unit and the ends are actually turned 90 degrees from the rest of the complex, so you get a huge front yard and from the street, it actually doesn't even look like a townhouse (from the pics, I had to question the realtor when I first called if they made a mistake by listing it as a townhouse) Did the home inspection yesterday and all is good (few things, nothing too exciting). However, I did notice one thing. The wood burning fireplace is VERY drafty. I mean, I have a wood burner in my own house, and you can feel a touch of cool air, but nothing like this. They actually have the fireplace opening blocked off with a piece of plywood with a decorative sheet in front to try to make it look decent. However, yesterday is was quite cool (-24C. Not unusual, really), and there was enough draft coming out of there that when I set a thermometer a couple inches away on the floor, it read 3C INSIDE THE HOUSE.

The damper does appear to be closed, but if I had to guess, I think we got a serious draft coming down the fresh air vent. The inspector could not see what was causing the problem, and couldn't get on the roof due to weather (cold, snowing. For reference I've been told the shingles were done 5-6 years ago, so at least THAT shouldn't be a problem). Of course, the inspector told me he wasn't a fireplace expert so really couldn't offer any super insight (next inspector I get who knows about fireplaces will be the first).

Anyways, wondering if anyone has any experience with fireplaces and can offer insight. Unfortunately, smaller town so no fireplace stores around (used to be one, but they JUST closed, dangit!). Pondering even putting in a gas insert since I know a local plumbing outfit that can deal with them, but I have no idea on costs for that. Figure it might cost some money, but a wood fireplace for a rental in a town is just a nice decoration (few people will go to the trouble of getting firewood, cleaning it all up, etc) whereas a gas might cost some money, but is more usable, therefore more attractive to renters. Thoughts?

Thanks for any insight/comments.

moparcanuck

Registered
Heh. Guess I should ask one important question that I was thinking but never actually wrote down. Has anyone actually converted a wood burner to gas, and if so, how much did it cost? (Closer to Alberta the better)

Thanks again.

housingrental

Registered
A wood burning insert might or might not also be a good possibility if other components are near end of life span and you'll need to do this for safety anyways soon

Costs will vary materially from property to property on conversion options. Your best bet is to get a few appropriately certified trades in for quotes on different options and from there weigh pro's and con's of each

invst4profit

Registered
Gas insert is a nice idea in a upscale rental assuming tenant is paying for utilities otherwise don't do it.

I personally have no idea what the cost is to convert and would probably just close it off better to prevent drafts.

Definitely would not allow tenants to have a wood burning fireplace. Too high risk plus it increases your insurance rates.

EdRenkema

Registered
Wood burning anything in a rental is either going to be very difficult to insure or very expensive.

I wouldn't even consider it.

Get a gas insert or close it off and make sure it is done to code.

dplummer

Registered
Convert to gas or close it up. I agree with previous comments with respects Insurance. Tenants & wood burning just don't mix. I 'm in Ontario so I don't know if these prices will help you. The steel chimey liner was about $1,000.00 plus the insert $3,000. Insert prices will vary according to the type ,style & features of the fireplace.

Doug

RandyDalton

Registered
Hi,

Definitely agree with everyone on this post. Seal it up. Do not leave wood burning fireplace for a rental property. We stage them with candles but that is the furthest point we go.

Costs for inserts will vary slightly based on BTU's, manufacturer, blowers, etc. but expect to pay $3,000 to $5,000. Doubt it is worth it.

Regards...Randy D.

bizaro86

Registered
I paid about $5000 for a gas fireplace (not an insert) in my personal residence. That included them taking out the old fireplace and brick, installing the new fireplace (we wanted a bigger one than would fit inside our old wood burning) and running gas to the fireplace, as well as putting in a gas barbeque supply line.

Michael

JimWhitelaw

Registered
We have one rental house that has two wood burning fireplaces in it. Insurance coverage has never been an issue and it's not any more expensive to insure than any of our other similar homes without fireplaces.

Hutchym

Registered
Hello!,

We had just installed a gas fireplace in our main living area and I wont Lie, It makes the house. We paid $4800 for it (gas installation, fireplace, and cabinet) and my wife more than anyone loves it! Not to mention during the cold winter months it is awsome as an extra. It keeps our main floor really warm. If it is a mid to higher end rental it may be a great addition to add $20-$30 a month in rent too. Just though I'd add some input.

Mike

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered
We have two rental condos with wood burning fireplaces. While its a great selling point as a feature, we find that tenants do not use them at all. Maybe once or twice... The only drawback is that we still get them clean every year for insurance purposes. ($40 cleaning each per year)

kfort

Registered
I have a small 1 bed condo with wood burning fireplace. It is a selling feature for sure when renting it out. I have found that the females in general seem to love it. I believe it as been used approximately 5 times in the last 2 years as I had to removed ashes once. I think renters drastically overestimate the use they will get out of it. It works fine, just people never work it! Our condo fees cover inspections once a year and insurance is cheap I'm guessing in part because it has condo coverage. I highly doubt I would drop serious coin on one for a rental though.

FourBell

Registered
One thing to mention, is if you are going to convert it to gas, ensure that you get a chimney liner installed, or get the 'OK' from a licensed professional that your current chimney is adequate, as the by-products from the burnt gas will erode the cement chimney that is normally used in wood burning fireplaces.

I am 99% sure this is required by code in Manitoba, but you may want to check into this for Alberta.

moparcanuck

Registered
Definately will have to get a liner, yes. I talked to my insurance company, and fireplaces are no problem (whether left as wood or moved to gas). Going to take one more look myself to see if I can see why it's so drafty, and if no luck, will call in the pros to see if there's something I'm just missing or have to put in an insert. Good news is I got the property for slightly less than I expected, so if I have to put a little more into renos, I can live with that. :)

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=FourBell]One thing to mention, is if you are going to convert it to gas, ensure that you get a chimney liner installed, or get the 'OK' from a licensed professional that your current chimney is adequate, as the by-products from the burnt gas will erode the cement chimney that is normally used in wood burning fireplaces.

I am 99% sure this is required by code in Manitoba, but you may want to check into this for Alberta

Or consider getting a direct vent gas fireplace. That's what I have, since it was cheaper than getting the chimney lined. They don't use a chimney, but just an exhaust vent, similar to a high efficiency furnace.

Regards,

Michael

Top Bottom