Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Garage Rental None Payment in Ontario

conchoss

Help me play monopoly
REIN Member
I read all the posts I could find on here reference subject and still would like some guidance on how to properly rectify my situation.

I rented out my garage for storage and the individual has not paid since December 2013. I tried calling but his phone is no longer connected. I sent him registered mail with two letters inside. The first is a Notice of Termination Lease and the second I've pasted below:

It is with urgency I inform you that you are in breach of our garage rental agreement. I have not received monthly payment, or heard from you in over 3 months time, since the 11[sup]th of November, 2013 when you last made payment to me. Please respond to this letter within 30 days time, to settle outstanding debts and take possession of the items you have stored on my property at the garage of 442 Catharine St. North. If I do not hear from you by the 20[sup]th[/sup] of April, 2014 we will then move on to the final 60 day period where if you do not settle your debts and lawfully claim your property by June 20th[/sup], 2014 - all contents stored in the garage will be forfeited over to me. Please respond to this correspondence as urgently as possible. I await your response.

The mail was returned to me unopened. What would you advise I do next?

3canctheayr

Registered
I'm not sure if it's changed or not, but you used to have to take out a public notice in the newspaper for storage issues. If they still don't come forward, I think there may be a legal process you have to go thru to secure ownership of contents.

A friend of mine works in the business, I can ask her in a few days when I see her next.

Also, read the Repair and Storage liens act for Ontario.

invst4profit

Registered
Follow through with the time line as you have informed them. Sell the stuff and put the money toward rent owed. Any excess money, if there is any, should be held and returned to the owner if they return.

durhamhome

Registered
3canctheayr is bang on. To ensure that you are protected, you can put out a public notice. But because storage facilities don't fall under the residential tenancies act, you can make a public notice saying that the stuff will be sold on a certain date. If the owner of the stuff doesn't come forward and bring himself in good standing, you can and should conduct your very own STORAGE WARS episode.

I've actually told my garage tenant that Storage Wars is one of my favorite shows and I'd love the chance to sell his stuff if he doesn't pay.

Make sure to cut his lock, put on your own lock and chain, and of course, put a notice on the garage door.

Have fun with it. ...... "YEP".

conchoss

Help me play monopoly
REIN Member
Haha. That's hilarious Michael. Thank you all for your advice. I'm happy that I joined REIN.

kfort

Registered
I'm so glad invest in a province where dealing with deadbeats is significantly easier than this!

conchoss

Help me play monopoly
REIN Member
Based on your advice, I referenced the Repair and Storage Liens Act and am sending the below letter (registered) to the garage renter. Assuming it's a reflection of my perfection, feel free to use it as a template, otherwise I'd appreciate your advice on how to twerk it.

Dated: Thursday, 15 May 2014

To: Mr D.J. XXX, despite multiple attempts to contact you via text messaging (our agreed method of communication), phone calls, registered letter and a notice on the door of the garage that you are renting for storage from me, I reluctantly send you this letter, in accordance with Part III Redemption, Sale or Other Disposition of the Repair and Storage Liens Act.

As the owner of the items including but not limited to an E-Bike, projector screen, filing cabinet, cabinets, doors, windows, multiple boxes containing collectables, electronics, etc stored at the Garage located at 442 Catharine St. North, Hammertown ON, L8L 4T8, it is with urgency I inform you that I am placing a lien in the amount of $600 plus $300 for the cost of seizure. On a daily basis, $3.50 is added to this amount until the items are sold online on 27 June 2014 by 5 pm at http://onlinestorageauctions.com/auctions/lien-sale-online-live-auction/hamilton-ontario/.

Your stored items may be redeemed by you or your representative no later than 26 June 2014 once I have received payment as described above plus any other reasonable costs incurred in preparing your items for sale.

Payment can be made to myself, Jeremy Cski by calling my cell at (647) 454-0619
call_skype_logo.png
(647) 454-1234. Once payment has been made, you can redeem your articles at the garage of 442 Catharine St N, Hammertown ON L1L 4T8, Monday through Friday 6 am to 9 am and 5 pm to 8 pm.

Jeremy Ciesinski, Possessory Lien Claimant

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Top Bottom