Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Garage Tenant sleeping in rented garage

hjs1150

Registered
What are the implications to a tenant renting a garage for storage and then consequently using it to sleep in?

brentdavies

Registered
Now that you know, you are allowing a tenant to live in an illegal suite, with no water or sewer. Fines can be large.

I have had this on several garage rentals and did the following in the 20067 boom in Edmonton. Rents for storage garage were $150-300 per month. Bachelor suites rent for $700. I have zero tolerance.

1. The garage rental does not fall under the Residential Tenancy Act. May fall under the warehousemen act???

2. Tenant was immediately served with a notice to stop residing in the premises.

3. Continued use as a sleeping accommadation would be cause for immediate termination. No 14 day notice. Immediate notice. My thinking was a judge would not fine me for locking out a tenant who was sleeping in a dangerous garage, with no fire alarms, no sanitation and heating system. However the fine for allowing a tenant to continue to sleep is over $8000

4. Change the locks after termination.

5. I see you in court.

One reason I don't like renting garages, when you are an absentee landlord (not living on site)

invst4profit

Registered
My suggestion would be to get rid of him immediately. You can not just that he will not continue to sleep in the garage. He has zero rights under any tenancy act I am aware of and as such can be evicted on the spot. Do it.

hjs1150

Registered
Thank you to all who have provided information and advice.

I investigated the situation. And as it turned out the house tenant was overreacting because garage tenant was working late in the garage to reorganize stuff storage. And as he is quite busy during the day the only time he could get to is in the evening sometimes as late as midnight. The house tenant got alarmed because they were seeing lights on.

The garage lease arrangment was reviewed and clarifed. Garage tenant signed a letter verifying he does not sleep in garage and approval to having landlord inspect any time.

bellaswan

Registered
I'd say that you should rid of him... maybe he had a midnight activities that you don't know... But before you decide you should watch him seriously... sneek in.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
[quote user=bellaswan]I'd say that you should rid of him... maybe he had a midnight activities that you don't know... But before you decide you should watch him seriously... sneek in.

Get rid of a tenant just because he stays up late working in a garage? By that measure, I'd be kicked out of my own home! If he's not disruptive (and the house tenant now seems to agree), I don't think there's a problem.

Top Bottom