Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Garage - to insulate and heat or not?

LAndersen

Registered
It looks like I have an upcoming renovation with a detached double car garage in one of my rental units. We had a fire and it looks like we may have to rebuild. If we do, I am not sure if I want to insulate it or put another garage heater in it as that may have been the cause. I am looking to see what others have to say. I know that insurance in the end will have a say.

kir

Registered
Well, if the garage is warm , then the snow and ice will melt (assuming the garage is used for cars). So if the water doesn't drain properly, then over time the concrete may subside, if it hasn't already.

Kir.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
I would insulate it for sure. It is easy to add heat later (either a gas furnace or a portable heater), but it is not easy to insulate later (assuming the walls are finished).

Also, if you properly insulate the garage, it stays reasonably warm without being heated. My parents' garage is well-insulated but not heated and the garage is usually no lower than about -10 C (even in very cold weather).

Top Bottom