Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

George W. Bush

gwasser

Registered
Just bought `Decision Points` by George W. Bush one of the most controversial U.S. Presidents in recent U.S. history (other than Nixon?). Anyway, you may hate his policies, but the book is easy to read and quite enjoyable (up to now - page 85). I have read other autobiographies like the one of Bill Clinton which I was unable to finish so bogged down in detail it was. Green Span`s Autobiography was tough but I made it to the end. But apart of Warren Buffett`s biography by Alice Schroeder, this is the most enjoyable I have read for a long time in this genre.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Nov 18 2010, 11:00 AM) But apart of Warren Buffett`s biography by Alice Schroeder,

"The Snowball." Great book, I highly recommend it as its a great read and contains some kernels of "Buffett wisdom" that hadn`t been published prior.

Michael

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Nov 18 2010, 11:00 AM) Just bought `Decision Points` by George W. Bush one of the most controversial U.S. Presidents in recent U.S.
history (other than Nixon?). Anyway, you may hate his policies, but the book is easy to read and quite enjoyable (up to now - page 85). I have read other autobiographies like the one of Bill Clinton which I was unable to finish so bogged down in detail it was. Green Span`s Autobiography was tough but I made it to the end. But apart of Warren Buffett`s biography by Alice Schroeder, this is the most enjoyable I have read for a long time in this genre.

Today I finished George Bush` book. It took me a while. The book was refreshing in the way it was written. Rather than the usual litany of names and humble starts, this book focused on the important issues George W. Bush encountered and why he made the decisions he made.

Not only did he present these issues in a relatively objective matter, George W. Bush has definitely the talent to boil down a complex problem in a few easily understandable sentences. He has a wry sense of humor that shines through many parts of the text and, I must admit, some remarks had me roll over for laughter.

I suspect that Mr. Bush`s talent to explain difficult issues in simple word was used by critics and adversaries to paint a picture of a `simple minded man` who`s intellectual capacities were somewhat limited; that he was the puppet of his Dad`s old clique. Nothing, in my mind, is further from the truth.

I stay with my opinion that this was one of the most enjoyable `memoir` type of books I have read. It is in many ways revealing (although not of state secrets). If you think that Wikileaks was revealing about diplomacies, Mr. Bush is not afraid to be candid about the statesman he has worked with while still keeping the discussion civilized.

As a follow-up, I have Tony Blair`s "A Journey; My Political Life" lined up to compare some notes. I hope it will be just as informative. As an investor reading these books will give you a chance to compare your views of the world with those that are close to the fire. It will provide you the skills that are so critical for an investor: to look behind the curtain.

lilbuffet

Registered
this is a very powerful video its called how to create an angry american.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgfzqulvhlQ.

must watch for any person who thinks politicians aren`t guilty.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (lilbuffet @ Dec 13 2010, 09:10 PM) must watch for any person who thinks politicians aren`t guilty.

Yes I remember the days and statements of the days just before the war. I remember Colin Powell`s statements about mobilebiological warfare laboratories. That has nothing to do though with whether you like a book. I read Mulroney`s memoirs and he did barely say a word about Karl Heinze Schreiber. Next thing you hear him admit he accepted cash. Everyone tells you the story from their side and most of those stories are presented in the best possible light for the story telller.

You don`t read those books to learn about the truth but to learn about how the man thinks and presents himself. Just listening to the Michael Moores or David Suzuki`s of this world will not bring you the truth either. History will show who is telling or bending the truth and even then it is suspiscious.

Top Bottom