Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Getting started advice

mtc

Registered
Hi. My name is Michael and I have been very interested in real estate as an investment for many years. After reading Don`s book "Real Estate Investing in Canada" I have the motivation to act. The best part is that after reading his book, my wife Glenda-who has always shyed away from this ambition, also has been empowered-we will make a great team! My wife and I live very close to Halifax and would like to invest in an urban centre within a 4 hour drive, specifically in a mult-unit residential property having 6+ units that is cash flow positive. I am currently gathering information on the major urban centres to identify an area with a future. I see most forum discussions pertain to properties/areas West of Ontario, but does anyone have any investment experience/advice for Halifax or Atlantic Canada for example. This is an exciting time for us but also a bit scary so any words of wisdom or mentorship would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Michael and Glenda Corkum
[email protected]

Rickson9

Registered
Hi, good luck on your new path. One word of advice would be to thoroughly learn how to read financial statements; specifically be familiar with the income statement and balance sheet. Most people don`t want to hear this, but as obvious as it sounds, it is key that a person understands the language of investing before they invest.

You can either put in the time now or eat your mistakes later.

hermann

Registered
Hi Michael,
if you are interested to team up with other investors around Halifax, you can come to our next meeting at Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:30 pm, Sobeys community room in Lower Sackville. Our group is called Real Estate Investors Halifax (I guess most of them are REIN members).
Detlef

mtc

Registered
Thanks for the invite. I will definately try to be there.

Top Bottom