Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Giving Back

trevismcconaghy

Trevis McConaghy, REIA
REIN Member
I have read many books that talk about philanthropy and giving and just wanted to share a few ideas.

I have been involved in a number of organizations/ institutions, and as such, I have been instrumental in setting up a few scholarships. In the first case, it was with Melfort Kinsmen. It's great to have a scholarship, but it occured to me that we could honour one of our former Kinsmen and name it after him. Anyone from Sask Kin or if you have been to a National Kinsmen event will know of Saskatchewan Telemiracle. It is a 20 hour Telethon that raises millions of dollars each year.

One of the people that was instrumental in starting this was a man from Melfort- Al Robertson, and as such with his permission, we named our Scholarship the Al Robertson Kinsmen Scholarship. This same idea can be applied to other awards etc, or even for a hockey rink. This is the case with the 'Lacroix' Arena in Fort Mac, named after a friends father.

In a second case, I have set up and funded a number of scholarships at the U of S. As such, a looked back to professors who made a difference in my life and recently funded two awards with professors from the College of Commerce and the College of Agriculture names on them. It feels great to give back and think about others who have made a difference. I know that without people like these professors (mentors), I wouldnt be where I am today.

I would encourage you to rename a generic award or place after someone. Why not?

Top Bottom