Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Good Long Term Tenant Wants to Paint Apartment

Nir

REIN Member
Hi,

When a goods tenant wants to paint his/her unit letting you know about it in advance (and wants to show you the color/s), do you usually offer to pay for material or just approve the colors and say something like "OK, no problem"?

I guess it`s not that important as it`s not that expensive anyway. Just curious to know..

Thanks,
Neil

invst4profit

Registered
Assuming you were not planing on painting if they paint they pay, but the question you have to ask yourself is how good of a job will they do. Will it require more work on your part when they move out to fix up there mess.
Will it be as good as you would do or have a contractor do ?..
If they are planing on painting more than one room I would allow them to only paint one until I see the quality of there work.

Ready4Rent

Registered
We generally approve the color (no hot pinks etc :). Must be a neutral or color that would not put people off (think re-rental) Take some before photos, and tell them you want a quality job, and they are responsible should they not do it right. (paint on trim etc). Remember to take the color chip and put it in your unit file, in case you need to do touch-ups down the road.

John

housingrental

Registered
I regularly offer funds to tenants for this - but require my choice of colour - and as posts above indicate make sure they do an OK job - Let them know to use tape and drop cltohes and even lend to them if possible.

donksky

Registered
definitely have them do one room first & see their work - my tenants in you now where offered to paint at no cost whasoever to me just because they wanted to change the color - & did a lousy job - one strip from floor to ceiling a foot wide was left unpainted and on another wall there was a visible stretch unpainted as well. Now that I`m trying to sell, it`s an eyesore withouth having to pay a big fee to fix their stupid job. Get the name of the paint color in case you have to patch up a bad job down the road.

Anonymous

Registered
I would have them do one bedroom first...

but if it`s already painted when they move in... they pay, they paint, you chose the colour... beige beige or beige... if they do something silly, it may cost you 2 x as much if it`s dark when they move out.

Also, describe how they paint trim, doors, they must take off cover plates (i know... but some don`t) AND A DROP SHEET!!!!! If they spill paint, make sure they are clear it`s their responsibility to fix it.

As a policy, we generally don`t allow it unless they have been there for several years.

Nir

REIN Member
Thank You Everyone, Great advice.

Thanks to the potential issues you guys raised with letting the tenants do it and since they are really good long term tenants, I am considering paying for it myself..

Regards,
Neil

terri

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Apr 23 2009, 05:39 PM) Thank You Everyone, Great advice.

Thanks to the potential issues you guys raised with letting the tenants do it and since they are really good long term tenants, I am considering paying for it myself..

Regards,
Neil

I think it`s a good idea and may prove more cost effective in the end. As well your tenants wil really appreciate it and respect the place more if it has a profesionally done job. I usually don`t let my tenants paint, but will paint to their taste if they really want a specific colour, as long as I approve of it, and I am willing to go bold as long as it`s kept to an accent or feature wall.

I have a tenant moving in on may first and they really wanted "COLOUR", they are tired of living in a white and beige apt, so we came to a compromise: the place is painted white with one accent wall per room in either chocolate brown or deep orange. I`m very excited about how it`s going to turn out. I think it will look fantastic, a bit of a retro `70`s feel, but hip and modern. Tip to painting accent walls: keep the wall across from the window white or light if it`s a dark room. This wall will reflect the most light.

excited to start painting,

Terri

Top Bottom