Good news on Calgary Seconday Suites

REINteam

Registered
Aug 22, 2007
This is very interesting as the same actions are being taken in Surrey, BC.

Here is the article on Surrey`s move: http://www.vancouversun.com/Surrey%20votes...5280/story.html

I think a bit of difference in opinion is showing up between the two cities/provinces. From reading these two articles, Calgarians still appear to be quite opposed to the idea of secondary suties in single-family homes, while Surrey seems to be embracing the idea.

I understand the objections regarding overcrowding and traffic concerns in these neighbourhoods in Calgary, but the premise behind the decision is to allow for more abundant and affordable housing in two cities that are already filling up fast. People want to live in these areas for the quality of life and to raise their children in a great environment. If a secondary suite is the only way that they can afford to do so, shouldn`t they have the same opportunity as someone with a greater household income?

Not to say that the objections aren`t without some thought, but I think that it is a positive move in both cities.

wgraham

REIN Member
Sep 14, 2007
Canmore
Its about time! I think the waters are still very muddy as to what is "legal" and what isn`t but this is a step in the right direction!

RedlineBrett

Registered
Oct 24, 2007
Calgary
QUOTE (DaveRhydderch @ Aug 5 2010, 10:16 AM) Good news here.

Any ideas on what areas are being changed?

The amended bylaw hasn`t been uploaded onto the city`s website yet. I spent two hours on their site yesterday and another half an hour on 3-1-1 trying to figure it out but didn`t get enough solid information to post anything here. At first glance I`ll speculate that they are going to allow suites as a discretionary use for RC-2 lots under 50 feet wide but want to confrim that first.

Dec 10, 2007
Calgary
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Aug 5 2010, 11:01 AM) The amended bylaw hasn`t been uploaded onto the city`s website yet. I spent two hours on their site yesterday and another half an hour on 3-1-1 trying to figure it out but didn`t get enough solid information to post anything here. At first glance I`ll speculate that they are going to allow suites as a discretionary use for RC-2 lots under 50 feet wide but want to confrim that first.

From what I gathered, its only those properties R-1N. These are the narrow lots, and generally in new areas (i.e. Royal Oak, Saddleridge) as opposed to the older bigger lots. Their story is new areas are more open to suites than old areas, but it seems a little odd....

RedlineBrett

Registered
Oct 24, 2007
Calgary
QUOTE (DaveRhydderch @ Aug 10 2010, 01:16 PM) From what I gathered, its only those properties R-1N. These are the narrow lots, and generally in new areas (i.e. Royal Oak, Saddleridge) as opposed to the older bigger lots. Their story is new areas are more open to suites than old areas, but it seems a little odd....

The motion carried in council cited RC-2 properties. So I think it`s the narrow RC-2 lots in areas like ranchlands + beddington and a bunch of places in the NE that I don`t do business in to know for sure.

What I am curious about was the fact that `semi detached` was included in the motion... I need some straight answers but you know how hard that is to get out of the city... I`ll keep trying.

MichelleW

Registered
Sep 8, 2009
Calgary,AB
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Aug 12 2010, 08:03 AM) The motion carried in council cited RC-2 properties. So I think it`s the narrow RC-2 lots in areas like ranchlands + beddington and a bunch of places in the NE that I don`t do business in to know for sure.

What I am curious about was the fact that `semi detached` was included in the motion... I need some straight answers but you know how hard that is to get out of the city... I`ll keep trying.

Brett,

Any update?

Michelle

RedlineBrett

Registered
Oct 24, 2007
Calgary
QUOTE (MichelleW @ Sep 9 2010, 10:52 PM) Brett,

Any update?

Michelle

If I haven`t been on holidays I`ve been working my tail off for the last month or so... But you are not the first to ask Michelle... Look for an update soon.